Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I stripped my car last year, I noticed the top was a little flimsy in the middle. (55 Hardtop). Today, when running a DA and mud hog, if I leaned on it a little it would go down a little, maybe 1/4" to 1/2" but come right back up. Not quite what I would call it an oil can- more of just spongy or soft in the center. 58 year old steel, or an issue?
Terry

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,150 Posts
From my 40 years experience, not uncommon. Kinda like the hood center also. If you think that is bad, try a 58 Impala hood......much worse and "normal"

Mikey
55wagoncrazy

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
If you are concerned ,you may want to brace it temporarily from the inside to finish your body work. On my Nomad I have a large area that was very temper-mental and did not require hardly anything to give way. so, after sanding the backside of the roof I applied epoxy primer and truck bed liner and that still didn't stiffen the roof. Then I bought and applied a product a lot like Dyna-mat. Its called Mega-mat. I think it has about 70 mils of Butyl that REALLY sticks. Being butyl you don't get that petroleum smell because its not "tar" based. WHAT a difference that made. When you tap on the roof ,instead of a ping-ping you get a thunk-thunk. Also it gives sound deadening and temperature relief. I did my whole interior and glad I did.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it as long as the top pops back into place and the sheet metal isn't kinked. It doesn't take much pressure to cause a large smooth area of un supported sheet metal to buckle. You could form a thin brace and tac it in place if it is flexing to much for your liking.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
...flimsy tops...

Our last 56 did the same , almost an oil-can in the middle of the roof , and it's not a problem . Glad it wasn't a wagon or Nomad ; that "brace" appears to be just the dome-light mount , no ?? You're absolutely right ; flimsy tops look better on girls . LOL . Be safe...Bob.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
The joys of hardtop ownership, I like sedans..............

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Our last 56 did the same , almost an oil-can in the middle of the roof , and it's not a problem . Glad it wasn't a wagon or Nomad ; that "brace" appears to be just the dome-light mount , no ?? You're absolutely right ; flimsy tops look better on girls . LOL . Be safe...Bob.
If you are referring to the brace on my Nomad, no, it is merely a roof brace. The dome lights are both located towards the sides of the roof on their own supports, near the "B" post. I took out the brace(temporarily) to seal and Mega-mat under it. Replacing it is critical, it has to go exactly in the right spot. Ask me how I know!:sign0020:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have a similar problem...... not to hi-jack your thread, I think someone or something was on the roof at one point, there are minor dents and what I would call oil canning.... If I push up from underneath I think it would be close enough to skim coat and be done, but what will add the rigidity, and hold it in place?... Heat shrink? (very little experience with that), .... If it is less than an 1/8 inch should I just use filler?

Sorry about jumping in on your thread, but I thought any good comments could be used by us both.

Again thanks,
Gil

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,738 Posts
I saw a guy put a thick fiberglass mat on the inside of a quarter panel to stop it from popping in and out. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
On my 55 sedan I had to remove my roof brace to fix sand blast damage. I notice with the brace off it did oil can pretty easy, now that the brace is back on it's night and day, no oil can but I could push down and get some movement.

I then installed Dynamat and wow what a difference, my roof is solid! So you might want to install Dynamat which should make your roof more solid and will keep noise and heat out.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Thanks Doc- I have Dynamat here on my shelf- will put it in.
You will be amazed at the difference. I put mine on before i should have (still doing block sanding) but it was so much easier installing on my rotisserie upside down, I covered it with paper to protect from overspray, etc.. Good Luck! :shakehands:

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts