Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Has anybody used the imported doors and decklid for a 55 hardtop. I can get them locally at a better than usual price but am still wondering if I should spend money fixing the rusty doors or get the new and be done with it. Are they a good fit and quality.I do not want to spend a fortune for junk but I do not want doors bubbling out in rust in 12 months either. My old doors are rusted in the middle behind the stainless trim,(deep pitting across the middle)

thanks

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
My Tiawan doors fit nice on my 55 2 dr sedan, no complaints I think the moderator had similar results. As far as deck lids go the orginal fits like crap on my 55 and the one I got at junkyard 35 years ago for my 56 does not fit much better.

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
The problem with original trunklid fit is not the trunklid but the opening for it.

Chevy did a pretty lousy job of making all those pieces fit together correctly.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
The problem with original trunklid fit is not the trunklid but the opening for it.

Chevy did a pretty lousy job of making all those pieces fit together correctly.
Exactly, how can anyone make a trunklid that fits now when the oem opening is screwed up.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi all
Has anybody used the imported doors and decklid for a 55 hardtop. I can get them locally at a better than usual price but am still wondering if I should spend money fixing the rusty doors or get the new and be done with it. Are they a good fit and quality.I do not want to spend a fortune for junk but I do not want doors bubbling out in rust in 12 months either. My old doors are rusted in the middle behind the stainless trim,(deep pitting across the middle)

thanks
I have the doors skins and the full deck lid and they all fit good.

check out my build and you can see the pictures of them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Darren

your car looks in a similar condition to mine, I did not buy the doors as they are on backorder so I might get some time to think about it

·
Registered
630 Posts
I fit the prototype doors and decklids on my cars for goldstar, i sent the originals back with notes several times.. if they dont fit right, as long as they havent changed molds, i guess its mty fault lol :)

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
"how can anyone make a trunklid that fits"

You copy the trunk lid and not try to fit a bad opening.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with most original trunk lids if they haven't been hit hard.

You should not be replacing an original trunk lid if it's not obviously bent or rusted on the bottom.

Get a good trunk lid and make the opening fit it. No reason the aftermarket ones don't work until proven otherwise.

·
Registered
630 Posts
"how can anyone make a trunklid that fits"

You copy the trunk lid and not try to fit a bad opening.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with most original trunk lids if they haven't been hit hard.

You should not be replacing an original trunk lid if it's not obviously bent or rusted on the bottom.

Get a good trunk lid and make the opening fit it. No reason the aftermarket ones don't work until proven otherwise.
The new ones were fit to my cars which have both been modified so the original trunks would fit, this in mind they should fit, unless stamping has since been changed. After the passing of StarcityGene I kinda got out of fitting parts for them, and that matter messing with my cars much, so on the new release stuff im unsure of the fit, but they did well on everything else and im sure they had somone fit the products for them:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts