Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I JUST BOUGHT A 55 CHEV 210 SERIES AND DIDN'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE CONTROLS FOR THE HEATER. I NOW WOULD LIKE TO PUT VINTAGE AIR IN IT AND NOTICED ALL I HAVE IS A 2 KNOB CONTROL (OF WHICH THE DEFROST KNOB ISN'T EVEN HOOKED UP). THERE IS A LEVER ON THE FRONT OF THE DUCT BOX (BELOW THE DASH, CENTER) THAT APPEARS TO CONTROL THE HEAT/DEF. DAMPER. ANYONE KNOW WHAT I NEED TO DO TO READY THIS SETUP FOR THE VINTAGE AIR UNIT FOR THE 55 CHEVY? I'M TRYING TO ASSESS THE TOTAL COST BEFORE I ORDER THE A/C. THANKS!

·
Registered
66,285 Posts
:hello: hi ya and welcome. good to have you here. only air i have is the 440 model (4windows open at 40mph). :anim_25:

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I JUST BOUGHT A 55 CHEV 210 SERIES AND DIDN'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE CONTROLS FOR THE HEATER. I NOW WOULD LIKE TO PUT VINTAGE AIR IN IT AND NOTICED ALL I HAVE IS A 2 KNOB CONTROL (OF WHICH THE DEFROST KNOB ISN'T EVEN HOOKED UP). THERE IS A LEVER ON THE FRONT OF THE DUCT BOX (BELOW THE DASH, CENTER) THAT APPEARS TO CONTROL THE HEAT/DEF. DAMPER. ANYONE KNOW WHAT I NEED TO DO TO READY THIS SETUP FOR THE VINTAGE AIR UNIT FOR THE 55 CHEVY? I'M TRYING TO ASSESS THE TOTAL COST BEFORE I ORDER THE A/C. THANKS!
The lever is for the defrost ( should be a tag saying that just behind the lever). You have the standard heater control you need either a "deluxe control" or use a vintage air or hodrod air control. I did this change over and the Vintage air kits have everything you need exceed the chevy deluxe heater control, nice ones go for about 100-150. Good luck

Joe :anim_25:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. does that section of the heater box stay in the car after to ac goes in or is it all replaced? how do you like the ac? I'm a little afraid of this revision to my car though my wife would probably appreciate it. does it "burden" the motor performance noticeably?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,422 Posts
Thanks for the info. does that section of the heater box stay in the car after to ac goes in or is it all replaced? how do you like the ac? I'm a little afraid of this revision to my car though my wife would probably appreciate it. does it "burden" the motor performance noticeably?
Nothing from the old heater is used except the delux heater control panel, when a aftermarket A/C kit is installed. The kits have a built in heater core and supply all the vents and defrost ducts. As far as a load on the engine, you will hardly know when the compressor is running.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS FOR THE INFO! DO YOU THINK THERE IS ANY MARKET FOR THE HEATER BOX THAT COMES OUT OR ANY ASSOCIATED PARTS. IT LOOKS LIKE ALL MINE ARE BRAND NEW.
ROGER

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
96156-PCU VS 96155-PCU?

NOW I CAN'T DECIDE ON THE 2 VENT OR 4 VENT SYSTEM (96156-PCU VS 96155-PCU). IS THERE ANY "LOOK" DIFFERENCE OR IS IT JUST OPERATIONAL? ANY INSIGHT?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
NOW I CAN'T DECIDE ON THE 2 VENT OR 4 VENT SYSTEM (96156-PCU VS 96155-PCU). IS THERE ANY "LOOK" DIFFERENCE OR IS IT JUST OPERATIONAL? ANY INSIGHT?
I used the 4 vent system because I did't want my wife:rolleyes:to complain about being cold. I think there are some new orginal like vents (smaller) on the market that look very good also vintage air has some that are similar just have to cut holes :)eek:) in the dash for them.

Joe:anim_25:

·
26,422 Posts
The center vent unit is the one shown in the picture, that has the 2 center vents built into the houseing and the center vents will be fastened to the bottom of the dash. The 4 vent unit will have 2 more ports for hoses, instead of the houseing that hangs below the dash. The 2 ports can be used if you have a console and the vents come out of the console or if you want the 2 center vents to come through the dash some other place. http://www.vintageair.com/catalog09/09%20VintageAir%20Catalog%2034.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man! Do I feel stupid! So, if I want to put 2 additional vents somewhere else, I should get the 4 vent system. If I'm ok w/the "under the dash vent", then go that way? Both systems have the same 2 "remote vents" for the bottom corners, right? Am I gonna regret the center vent choice if I get a console some day or is it possible to incorperate it into the console? I know these are "personal choices" but its nice to have an experienced sounding board, if you know what I mean.
Thanks for your time.
Roger

·
26,422 Posts
Both systems have the same 2 "remote vents" for the bottom corners, right? Am I gonna regret the center vent choice if I get a console some day or is it possible to incorperate it into the console? Roger
Yes, both have the remote vents. It may be that the center vent houseing that attaches to the left end of the unit, can be removed and a different houseing with the other remote vents added. Might have to call Vintage to see if that's possible.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Roger I ran the hose for the center vent into the console and put two vents in the console, the ones under the stereo.
Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jim,
So you have the 2 vent system, omitted the under the dash piece and extended the hose into your console and split it in 2?

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I have four hoses coming off my unit for AC, I have the original vents on each side and run the other two into the console.
Yes I do split one into two and I send the other to the rear of the console for the back seat. You can see the outlet on the rear of the console.
Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts