Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read similar problems on the forums but not this one yet. My headlights stopped working last night, the parking lights, dome lights, dash lights still work. I checked all the fuses and wiring and found nothing. I pulled the switch and it feels and looks very worn. I sprayed some silicon spray into and all over the switch with and the headlights now work but the parking lights will not turn off. The pull knob and shaft are hanging on but just barely. Will a new switch cure it? The one at Danchuck's is a little different.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Original 55 headlight switches did not have a fuse mounted on it for the dash lights. Replacement switches have the dash light fuse, so they do look different, but will work the same. The headlight circuit goes through one of the thermal circuit breaker contacts on the switch and all the other lights go through the other circuit breaker. The headlight circuit breaker was probably dirty causeing the lights to fail.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, would that also cause the parking lights to stay on when the switch is pushed in as far as it will go.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Thanks, would that also cause the parking lights to stay on when the switch is pushed in as far as it will go.
No. Is the nut that holds the switch to the dash screwed on all the way. If not, it could be holding the knob and shaft from going in far enough. Did you force the shaft out of the switch when removing it and possibly bend the spring loaded clip that holds the shaft in the switch?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don, I will fess up. I had forgot about the release button on the switch when trying to remove the knob. My fingers are still sore. So that makes alot of sense. Amazing how much you forget from the late sixties to now. Thanks again. I guess a new switch in my future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts