Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is the upper column bracket supposed to be on the forward set of studs ?
PO had an old column from the junk yard and I am replacing with a Flaming River column, he had the upper bracket on the back set of bolts and the lower bracket on the front set, he also had a piece of old rubber between the lower bracket and column. Should the column be sandwiched between the upper and lower brackets.? And should there be some kind of rubber strips also?

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is the piece on the back set of bolts supposed to be there and I am missing the upper column bracket altogether ?

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,839 Posts
Yes it is there to keep the sides stable. There is 2 pcs that bolt to the 2 smaller fine thread studs you see. The nuts are removed and the 2 sections of the mount are bolted to the studs. The mount is made so it holds the section of rubber in place. This rubber is needed to hold the column in place between the 2 sections of this pair of brackets. The lower bracket has a tang on it with a threaded hole and the lower chrome cover for the column is attached to it with a screw.

Mikey

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mikey, do the two nuts that are on now need to come off and then put the upper bracket in place then the column and lower bracket and then replace the nuts.

This is how the PO had it those two nuts stayed in place then no upper bracket and then column and lower bracket. The column he had was larger than original so this is how he made it fit I guess .
I checked Danchuk and their upper bracket looks different than the bracket on the back set of nuts which makes me think I need to buy that and the rubber strip they have . Does the rubber go between upper and column and another between lower and column?
Thanks for your help as I have not seen the original set up so asking lots of probably dumb questions.
Nick

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I called a buddy of mine and we went out to a fellas place I had heard about for years to see if he could show me the way the column fits and the parts I would need, he said to come in his shop as he was working on a 55 and I could check out the way the steering was put together. As Mikey said above the piece on back set o bolts was to stabilize and the front set held column brackets.
He said he may have one on his work bench but he looked and did not , but he knew he had one in back. So we started walking down a trail through the woods and he must of had 50 Tri fives along with old trucks everywhere, found a good donor car and relieved it of the needed bracket. All in all it was pretty cool and still couldn’t believe the amount of cars he had. Now need to get the column mounted!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Isn't that great?!?! It's little diversions like that which help make this hobby more enjoyable and rewarding. Several weeks ago I drove up to KC to pick up some stuff I had plated. The guy that did it told me I was asked to call a guy he was doing some other work for who was also building a Nomad. I called the guy and was treated to a neat shop visit - with a really nice Nomad in the final stages of the build, lunch with some other car nuts, another shop visit, and a phone number that netted me a couple of elusive Nomad-only parts I'd given up on finding. Never pass up the 'included diversion'...
JR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts