Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone show me where the o ring for the bearing and or seals go? Im not opening this up yet but im getting ready for it soon. I also understand may need to trim 1/8 inch off non posi shafts. Should I get 57 and up shafts too? Bigger bearings?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that makes sense! I appreciate it. I dont recall ever seeing those, although I havent been in a trifive axle yet.. thanks again

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Can someone show me where the o ring for the bearing and or seals go? Im not opening this up yet but im getting ready for it soon. I also understand may need to trim 1/8 inch off non posi shafts. Should I get 57 and up shafts too? Bigger bearings?
It's my understanding, that the axle bearings on the '55 and '56 are the same size. The '57 are larger therefore they won't interchange. To use a "P" case posi unit in a '55 or '56 rear housing, you will have to cut the axles 1/8". I put a '62 "P" case posi in my '56 stock rear housing and had the stock axles cut the recommended 1/8". Haven't driven the car a whole lot yet, but no noises or problems thus far. If I'm wrong about any of this, someone please correct me.

·
Registered
37,236 Posts
Carmine is correct, 57 axle bearings won't fit a 55-56 axle housing. And you're right on the 1/8" shortening of the shafts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts