Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions re. my new machine, 58k mile good running car.
After a good tune up she runs really well so now on to a couple mods I'd like to do.

First I've seen a pcv valve kit for sale by a 5-6-7 vendor, says 55 to 60s but this 55 motor has the draft tube exiting through the block vs the bolt on tube as the later motors have. Can I just remove this original tube, plug it or leave it alone?

Also I may want to cut one coil in front to get the nose down a bit, will this cause alignment problems? Have read that caster adjustment is limited on these cars if you have too much rake???

Thanks for any ideas or help on these issues. I've posted a couple pics of the car.
Jim

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Also I may want to cut one coil in front to get the nose down a bit, will this cause alignment problems? Have read that caster adjustment is limited on these cars if you have too much rake???
Hey Jim- That is a beautiful ’55 you have. I see you are from Central California and your sig mentions Turlock. I am the President of Central California Classic Chevy Club. It’s a Tri-five club. We have our monthly meetings on the second Saturday of each month at Perko’s Restaurant on Carpenter Rd. in Modesto (near Harbor Freight). Our next meeting is November 13th. At 6:30 PM. Please stop by and introduce yourself. Central California Classic Chevy Club

Getting enough positive caster is difficult on these cars. If the car has any crossmember sag it makes the problem worse. You are right that a stance with a forward rake will reduce positive caster. I am sure there are many Tri-fives running around with zero or negative caster. A lack of positive caster won’t cause excessive tire wear but the car will drive terrible wandering all over the road. Because of this the aftermarket has offset upper control arm shafts available. There are also aftermarket upper control arms available built with different geometry than stock that have extra positive caster built in.

Hooking up a PCV system on a ’55 won’t be easy. You will have to plug the draft tube at the bottom then tap into the tube with a connection for the PCV valve.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve, Thanks for the info. I probably know many of your club members as I helped start the Mid-Valley Chevys way back in early 80s then sorta got burn out. I attended the Turlock Kool Kars Charity show a few weeks back at the fairgrounds and parked with your club with my 46 red pickup. A friend Jerry G. from Waterford invited my along, had a great time. I got caught up on your events a bit with Dick B. whom I hadden't seen in several years. So I'd love to join your club, just don't know how active we would be at this time.

Re. this 265 motor and the pcv kit; the motor has a plug in the block just back of the distributor where this kit will connect via a plug, then routes over to the vaccum under the carb. My issue is mainly this odd ball draft tube of the 55 motors, which I've been told I could just plug off at the bottom. Just thinking someone out there may have done this kit already.

Dick also mentioned a breakfast you guys have at the airport, then a drive, may hook up with you guys for one of those.

Right now I'm going through the mechanics of this car that basically sat for 20 years with little or now maintenance. So far, complete tune up, new brakes, new dual exhaust and ram horns, rims and a whole bunch of little stuff. The car runs well and looks good from 30 feet, which is fine as right now I'm not excited about getting into a total restoration.

Later
Jim
Turlock, CA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts