Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 that I did a ls1 in and I am still running the manual steering I want to buy the shortened column to run shifter on column still and the borgeson 500/600/605 Box can you please explain the pros and cons of each and please tell me how much bigger it is than manual so I can make sure it will clear manifolds.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have done some more reading and see the 605 boxes are old and been replaced. So I am just not sure the difference between the 500 and 600 box. I also am running 275 35 18 on the front so allot of contact rubber so don't want a weaker box.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
They are the same technology inside. The 500 is made offshore and the 600 is made in the US. The 500 case is cast with the correct bolt pattern, the 600 is a Delphi gear that has been modified to fit 55-57.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks that right there tells me I want the 600 box. How much wider is it than the stock manual box? I also am going to order the factory column that has been shortened for power steering that lets me use the column shift from speedway motors.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Thanks that right there tells me I want the 600 box.
This is one product where that is not a negative.

The 500 box is by CPP and manufactured offshore for them to their specs. Many, many people on this forum (including me) have this box and I've yet to hear a negative word on them. Ruling it out would be a mistake. Not saying it's better than the 600 though. I have no experience with that one.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I agree with Roger. The CPP 500 gear is an exceptional value and has been on the market for over 7 years. The main advantage to the 500 is that it is cast as one piece with the correct bolt pattern, the 600 has a case that is modified and has an additional mounting plate.

As for dimensions, maybe Rick L will see this and comment, he has a good grasp on that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well for just a update I have a borgeson 600 box and there modified steering column for it. I also got my braided line to make power steering hose. I have to paint gear box, column, and power steering pump and I am ready to try to figure out how to remove the old gearbox and get new one with out much down time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts