Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 210 4 dr, with a 235 and three on the tree. I would like to convert to modern power steering, and retain my column shift. Are there any options available to make this conversion? Thanks in advance, Virgil.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Virgil, the 500 gear from CPP (and all its cousins) cannot be used with column shift, there just isn't enough column protruding into the engine bay once you shorten the column for the gear.

It is possible that someone somewhere has done enough modifications to accomplish this, possibly recessing the firewall and/or making shift brackets with just enough offset, but I've yet to see it. There are several folks selling these gears on ebay that will tell you it's an easy mod, but I doubt they've done it themselves.

7,082 Posts
Virgil, the change with an auto is difficult enough and will make you say many bad words (just my experience). Listen to Jalepeno. Lloyd

Hi Steve. Thanks for your help on mine.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Hey Lloyd, your 55 is coming along, can't wait to see it done!

Virgil, the original type power steering linkage is also available new, it will fit all stock engines and transmissions, bolts in without any modifications to anything and can be powered by the original generator/pump assembly or a modern pump. Just another avenue for you to achieve power steering.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies and advice. My main reason for wanting to make this change, is to rid myself of the factory steering box. I hate dealing with this thing for various reasons. As I will not modify the firewall, or eliminate the column shift, I guess i'll stick with the stock set-up. I have an alternator on the engine, so factory pump set-up isn't going to do it.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Don, I think that article in the link does not specifically state that a column shifted manual trans can be used with a 500 gear, etc. It is very vague about that. The article is actually about tilt columns, and only gets into power steering peripherally. There is mention of manual trans applications but I think only because of the clutch rod. You'll notice that the column shown has only one lever, for an auto trans, not two levers, for a manual trans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts