Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, picked up a running 55 Bel Air the other day with the 235, and powerglide. The car is completely original. The problem I'm having is that the car does not want to go into reverse, although it drives pretty good. When the car is running, and I shift into reverse the idle does drop like its engaging but the car does not move. I checked the fluid and found it was 2.5 quarts low. I added the fluid but there was no change. I have not checked linkage yet but, if the idle is dropping when it goes into reverse that means the linkage probably is not the issue right? Does this point to adjusting the reverse band? I see thats a common problem with these.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Try adjusting the linkage first. The heavy cast iron Powerglide compresses the rubber in the rear motor mounts. As the rear mounts age, the transmission sags, the linkage goes out of adjustment, and you lose reverse. The rear mounts don't last long in these cars and you most likely need new ones.

Don't be surprised if some of the fluid you added ends up on your garage floor. The old Powerglides will leak if overfilled. Some guys run them a quart low to avoid leaking fluid.

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
Try adjusting the linkage first. The heavy cast iron Powerglide compresses the rubber in the rear motor mounts. As the rear mounts age, the transmission sags, the linkage goes out of adjustment, and you lose reverse. The rear mounts don't last long in these cars and you most likely need new ones.

Don't be surprised if some of the fluid you added ends up on your garage floor. The old Powerglides will leak if overfilled. Some guys run them a quart low to avoid leaking fluid.
I agree ,,good advise ,,:tu

·
Administrator
66,902 Posts
You can raise the rear end off the ground safely, disengage linkage and try all gears including reverse see if that works, if it still does not go only in reverse the PG would have to be removed and disassembled, there is a pin like a rivet that shears off which will not allow reverse to engage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts