Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my radio working again after replacing some wiring that had been poorly spliced together and was shorting out and blowing the fuse.

Trying to add the ground straps and the bolt that goes into the firewall from the valve covers is missing. I say missing, because it was clearly there at one time.

The manual calls to an 11-12 hex head tapping screw. I believe with a star washer. I know I have seen some images of this done correctly, and saved them for future reference but can't seem to locate them now. I have this in my collection, but not sure if this is the correct fastener from that location or not, as it came in a bag with the car.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,428 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am I confusing two different sets of ground straps? I have seen a number of stock 55's with a ground strap running from the last valve cover bolts to a stud beside the battery tray on the firewall, but none of the three copper ground wires I have will fit in that location, and accessory assembly manual doesn't show a ground strap there.

·
49,428 Posts
I don't believe that there was ever a ground strap on a 55 in that location Thomas...I've seen them on later model (mid 60's) cars though.

·
Administrator
63,451 Posts
Thomas those ground straps you are referring to the firewall are for vehicles fitted with an I6, hope others will chime in

·
49,428 Posts
Thomas....I don't claim to have seen every 55 engine compartment....However, a strap going to the valve cover is a strange sight to me personally.

·
Administrator
63,451 Posts
Looks like the V8`s did have them, I stand corrected, looks like that engine bay is jammed packed with accessories

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just hoping to eliminate some of the static from my AM radio. I think though that I need to either have the speaker repaired or replaced. I have all the condensers installed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
49,428 Posts
The ground strap you are thinking about adding sure won't hurt anything....However, have you done the things indicated in the Accessories Manual?....They recommend adding capacitors and grounds in certain locations.

·
Registered
139 Posts
There are several ground straps that are to be installed as part of the original radio installation.

Ground strap kit:
Or

Strap locations:

For the speaker, get access to the cone (top of the speaker), and push down gently on the center and release.
If it is completely smooth & silent, the speaker may still be OK. If it's scratchy or drags, the voice coil has been blown, and the speaker will need to be replaced or re-coned.
Vic

·
49,428 Posts
Thanks Vich57....Hmm Interesting.....Did not know that kit and the documentation existed...Good job finding it

Their installation drawings look like they may have come from a manual,,,,However, I've not been able to find them in the Accessories Installation or Assembly Manual....So, if you or someone else could find them in an official Chevrolet document that would verify that they did indeed exist as original equipment.

·
Registered
139 Posts
See the attached four page PDF scan of the radio installation pages from my "1957 Passenger Car And Truck" "Accessories Installation Reference Manual".
There's probably similar information available for '55 and '56 radio installation.
The two vendor links I supplied above state the strap kits apply to all three years.
One thing to note: the star washer goes between the head of the bolt and the eye of the strap end -- not underneath the strap end.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Pops,
In the #2 post above, you provided a link to an accessories manual similar to mine, except it was for the '55 model year.
It has similar details, but half half the number of pages in my '57 manual.
Vic

·
49,428 Posts
Vic...You are the man sir....You learned me something today and I appreciate it :)(y)

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's what the trifive site is all about -- sharing information and helping each other out.
Vic

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are several ground straps that are to be installed as part of the original radio installation.

Ground strap kit:
Or

Strap locations:

For the speaker, get access to the cone (top of the speaker), and push down gently on the center and release.
If it is completely smooth & silent, the speaker may still be OK. If it's scratchy or drags, the voice coil has been blown, and the speaker will need to be replaced or re-coned.
Vic
This is done with the radio on and the speaker connected?

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The ground strap you are thinking about adding sure won't hurt anything....However, have you done the things indicated in the Accessories Manual?....They recommend adding capacitors and grounds in certain locations.
I have all of the capacitors installed--I am also going to install the ground straps that are indicated in the accessory installation manual and see how things go.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
I didn't quite get the gist of where the ground does go to, but to a bolt on the valve cover sounds like a really odd place, even if GM put one there. Valve covers don't get tightened very much so it would be a bad ground just waiting to happen.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
I have all of the capacitors installed--I am also going to install the ground straps that are indicated in the accessory installation manual and see how things go.
Did you test the resistance of all the resistors, lifting one lead if it has another path that will give an incorrect reading? I rebuild electronics with tubes from the 40's to when they stopped making tubes, on about a bi weekly basis and if you want something that is as old as your radio to work properly, it should be "rebuilt" not just "recapped" (cap is short for capacitor which is the modern name for condensers, but it is still widely used when referring to the capacitor that is used with the points. Also all the tubes should be tested and of course bad ones replaced. Sometimes a bad one points to a problem in the unit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts