Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I have never seen this. I have been asking around and nobody has ever seen or heard of this type of rear end modification. I hope I can make sense of this. The setup is a 55 chevy rear end with ladder bars, coil-over’s , rear pan hard bar and disc brakes. The weird part is that on the short side of axle, the previous owner added a spacer and my best guess a longer axle. I guess the intent was to center the rear end. I have only heard of making a rear end smaller but never longer. I can spin the wheels with no problem. But is this possible? Will the rear end explode on acceleration or on a hard launch? Should I just throw the rear end away and start with a new setup? The idea sounds as if it will work but I need the expertise of you builders out there. I guess I can get the car semi finished and try to see if it will work as is?

Comments

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
i`ll be watching this thread closely. since i run the **** out of my factory rear. and, what`s in that rear that makes it so strong???

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
THE POSI

HDDUDE,I ran and dragraced the stock rear in my '55 with a '62 3:36 posi and never ever had a problem.I musta been lucky from what I hear,I had a 454/4spd and grenaded the Muncie and clutch and pressure plate with it as well.
Remember they ran those rears with 409's.Sorry,not trying to hijack this thread.I think its the posi carrier that makes them stronger then a peglegger.
GREG

·
Registered
112 Posts
powdercoat or not,i would cut off the housing end, weld in a sleeve,and an outer peice,then the housing end back on .make sure you use an alighnment bar when you do it .better to be safe than sorry !

·
Registered
731 Posts
I would like to see the other side . It looks like the sleeve the bearing slides into was been left out or missing. It looks like the bearing is only in the housing about a 1/4 inch. Don

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
GREGS55150, good friend of mine says to have a hair pre-load on it. his `55 runs constant 12:60`s with that rear. just put mine together and rubber down, all over town.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Very odd.

Can you call the previous owner and ask him why he did that??

It looks to be a quick fix to a mistake while narrowing the rear housing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
powdercoat or not,i would cut off the housing end, weld in a sleeve,and an outer peice,then the housing end back on .make sure you use an alighnment bar when you do it .better to be safe than sorry !
I couldn't agree more. But for now, pop that axle out and let us see the end of that tube. Im curious as to what they thought they were doing.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
Rear

Remember Ford used different bearing ends on 28 and 31 spline axles. Is this an adapter to use a 31 spline axle in a 28 spline housing without cuting off and replacing the housing ends?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
55 mod

At the moment I am contacting the previous owner and asking him why he did that??

I will post the results ASAP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts