Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 350 coupled to a 700r4 sitting in a 55' hardtop frame and I need someone to advise what the measurement of the distance between the bottom of the frame rails to the center of the trans yoke is. I think this would be the same for any tri-five hardtop or 2/4 sedan running the same combo. I'm using a 4' level and measuring tape in the picture to give you an idea of what I'm looking for. Much obliged. Ted

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
Are your front motor mounts at the stock height? The angle is important, so the height of the front of the engine could affect the transmission mount.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are your front motor mounts at the stock height? The angle is important, so the height of the front of the engine could affect the transmission mount.
I have after market side engine mounts. The crankshaft pulley, stock diameter, is 1" above the front cross member. Thanks. Ted

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
There are many pulley diameters as well as different balancer diameters. It would be better to measure to the crank centerline.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,692 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 79' Camaro transmission cross member installed and before I put the body back on the frame, I would like to make sure the drive shaft will be going through the center area between the floor and emergency brake lever. I also need to mount the transmission shift bracket on to the frame rail. At this stage of the game, it will be easy to make an adjustment to the height of the tail shaft, and then fab in the trans bracket. Thanks. Ted

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
Ted, you have to set the engine/transmission angle for 3 to 4 degrees slope. This will align it to the rear end pinion angle. You don't want to adjust the engine angle to fit other things like emergency brake or shift linkage.
The height of the front mounts determines the height of the crossmember when the correct angle is set, and all front mounts are not equal, so my measurement may be different from yours.
I can measure mine later today, as I'm going to try overload shocks to try to keep it from bottoming out so easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts