Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Learned a lot here - hope someone can come up with a better solution than my sawzall idea.

55 sedan, 25.5 car with finished cage and alum / steel interior. Time for paint....no easy way to get inside the quarter window area.
Alum panels are riveted on and lots of cage in the way.

Any chance of getting the trim off from outside?
My thinking is that if I can get it OFF I can run a 12 “ aircraft drill through to the interior, be able to access backside to reattach and have a small hole to plug later.

Any ideas?
6FA55E61-C95B-4BA7-AE9B-9126AF7BFF92.jpeg

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well shucks - looks like I'm going to cut the trim off from the outside and proceed.

Thanks much

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
From the front of the wheel well to the tail light, you should be able to access from under the car. A lift would help. :)

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yessir - thank you much. I can get to the door trim and the trim you mentioned. The section below the rear quarter window is the kicker.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yessir - thank you much. I can get to the door trim and the trim you mentioned. The section below the rear quarter window is the kicker.
Cut an access hole and cover with a like material and dzus fasteners. Makes it look like it's supposed to be there.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
chalk line or lazer the trimline and mark the hole by looking down the glass channel

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You might be on to something there - have permanent lexan in there but will try to peek around it.....
Stand by for news and thanks!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My car is stripped for resto. I can send you the location of the OEM access hole.

Reactions: davidc

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
That would be a great help - thank you!
The opening is approx 11" x 11".
The top is right at 4" down from the window sill, and 11 1/2" in from the door opening.
Note: There is no trim on my car. If you want a pic, let me know.
I guess you could start cutting inward of the dimensions, and "sneak up until you have yur original hole location.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Why not drill out the rivets with a 1/8" bit and reinstall after your outside work is done with new rivets?
Small righthand drill and short bits where its tight against the cage..

·
Registered
523 Posts
No brainer.

Why not drill out the rivets with a 1/8" bit and reinstall after your outside work is done with new rivets?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts