Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 55 was a race car in its last live.The frame has seen better days so I picked up a bare frame to build.The old frame has the springs perch removed and moved under the frame.It has a Explorer rear end and the wheel wells are mini tubed 2 1/2 inches each side.
My question is if I leave the springs in the stock location on the new frame do the mine tubes help any or do I need to do the pockets to make it all work .
Thanks Phil

·
Registered
137 Posts
I may be wrong, but I believe the limiting factor for tire width is the leaf spring. So, I think if you leave the leaf spring in the stock location the tubs won't matter one way or another.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I may be wrong, but I believe the limiting factor for tire width is the leaf spring. So, I think if you leave the leaf spring in the stock location the tubs won't matter one way or another.
Pretty much how it is on my car, I spent less than $500 narrowing a Dana 60 Powerlock out of a 1/2 ton Ford PU. I womder why 1/2 ton Fords in 60s and early 70s used Dana rear axles when locked. Dana 44 with 6 cyl and 60 with V-8.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Your correct. You won't gain enough to matter with the mini tubs if you have the springs in the stock location. Pocket kit along with your mini tubs will allow you to run a 12 inch wide tire give or take, depending on the wheel back spacing.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is what I thought but I really did not want to to the pockets.But I will do what it takes sense the tubes are in it and the rear end is already set up for the bigger tires and wheels.
Thanks Phil

·
Registered
37,236 Posts
With everything stock, the first thing in the way is the springs. They are 48" across the outer edges, and you have a 12" space for your tire. When you do a pocket kit, that gets them out of the way. The tubs are next, they are 46.5" wide, and with the springs out of the way, you have a 12.75" space for the tire.

If you move the tub in 2-1/4" or greater, the frame is what's next. The frame (or a 2-1/4" tub) is 42" across, and you have a 15" space for the tire.

Moving the tub more than 2-1/4" doesn't get you more room unless you move the frame rails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts