Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have checked timing. it has a new coil and distributor, edelbrock torquer and new edelbrock carb. I put a new fuel pump on when the engine was installed
a month ago. The engine has set for 2 years and it turns over.

·
Registered
67,713 Posts
make sure your getting gas to carb to "start" with. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Get a test light and check to see if you have power at the pos side of coil with key on. Next crank the motor and see if your test light flashes on the neg side of coil.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Maybe check ground on block had that problem once but it wouldn't crank at all. Check gas to carb might squirt some in there

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
You're getting good advice here.

You said that you're getting gas to the carb.
So we can assume that you've checked that
the gas is getting from the carb to the cylinders.
This would then tell us that it's an electrical issue.
If the power to the coil checks out fine,then check
the condition and connection of the coil wire.
By the way,are you running a point distributor?

If you're not getting any power at the coil when you
turn on the ignition switch check the connections
at the switch.:anim_25:

Doug

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
Take out the firing plug No.1, rest it next to the block, crank it over to make sure you get spark.

If you have spark & the plugs are not fouled up or wet from flooding, have a look down the throat of the carby whilst you pull on the accelerator linkage to see if there is fuel being squirted down the throat of the carby.

Also chec the firing order & spark plug sequence to see if its in the right order.

On the carby make sure that the choke flap is working & not stuck open when cold.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wont start

I am using fresh gas.The coil is new . i am getting fire. I am using a new point type distributor. I have a green wire running from the solenoid to the coil, a pirple wire running to the sol terminal on the switch. A black wire from the large solenoid terminal to to battery terminal on switch

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Fuel, Air, Spark..... Double check. You gotta have all three.

A "new coil" and "new point type distributor" does not guarantee you have spark.

Recheck your wiring to a wiring diagram. Maybe someone here can link a diagram up for you.

Don

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wont start

Fuel, Air, Spark..... Double check. You gotta have all three.

A "new coil" and "new point type distributor" does not guarantee you have spark.

Recheck your wiring to a wiring diagram. Maybe someone here can link a diagram up for you.

Don
Wires are right the coil shocked the sh out of me

·
Premium Member
5,795 Posts
I am using fresh gas.The coil is new . i am getting fire. I am using a new point type distributor. I have a green wire running from the solenoid to the coil, a pirple wire running to the sol terminal on the switch. A black wire from the large solenoid terminal to to battery terminal on switch
You still need a wire from the "ign." terminal on the sw. to the "+" side of the coil.

·
Premium Member
5,795 Posts
The green wire from sol. to coil.....what terminal is it attached to on the sol? Do you have a ballest resister on firewall?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts