Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I'm new to the site I hope i'm doing this right I have a55 post car and I WAS WONDERING IF SOME ONE COULD EMAIL ME INFO onputting a 454 in my car I already have a turbo 400 in it dont know if it will just fit in or not without altering the fire wall or not or anything else? hope you can help!

·
Administrator
49,639 Posts
Welcome. I believe you will have to do some firewall modifications in order to get a BB in your 55. That will mean either massaging your existing one or cutting it out and either building one or buying one of the aftermarket firewalls. Terry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info terry I talked to a guy in P.A he sold me motor mnts. that move engine foward enough to clear firewall thanks again!

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Here is a picture of the motor mounts on my 454 in my 57 chevy

You can get them from several places, they move the engine forward between 3/4 and 1 inch for the clearance of the distributor.

Next you will need a spline/yoke from a 400 driveshaft, then you can get a universal ujoint that will make it bolt to you 55 driveshaft, although the driveshaft may need to be shortened.

next you will need to get a transmission crossmember for the rear of the 400.

I got mine from chevychevy.com , He does supply good parts at a reasonable price, here's what I got for my 57, give frank a call and tell him you need the setup for a 55

**1955 Side 1" Forward Motor Mount Brackets...$57.95 Pair
**1955 Custom Tube Cross Member With Mounting Brackets...$89.90.

And I suggest a radiator

**1955 V8 Or 6 Cylinder Set Up. 4-ROW Desert Cooler Radiator
Direct Fit. Bolt In JOB!!!...$254.95

I had mine polished top tank looks great.

here is a link to a yoke that will work off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trans-Yoke-Turbo-400-3-3-2431x-1350-series_W0QQitemZ8070224966QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33738QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

lastly the ujoint can be purchased at autozone, I got one there a month ago.

I hope this help

Otis

Otis

·
Registered
594 Posts
Here is a picture of the motor mounts on my 454 in my 57 chevy

You can get them from several places, they move the engine forward between 3/4 and 1 inch for the clearance of the distributor.

Next you will need a spline/yoke from a 400 driveshaft, then you can get a universal ujoint that will make it bolt to you 55 driveshaft, although the driveshaft may need to be shortened.

next you will need to get a transmission crossmember for the rear of the 400.

I got mine from chevychevy.com , He does supply good parts at a reasonable price, here's what I got for my 57, give frank a call and tell him you need the setup for a 55

**1955 Side 1" Forward Motor Mount Brackets...$57.95 Pair
**1955 Custom Tube Cross Member With Mounting Brackets...$89.90.

And I suggest a radiator

**1955 V8 Or 6 Cylinder Set Up. 4-ROW Desert Cooler Radiator
Direct Fit. Bolt In JOB!!!...$254.95

I had mine polished top tank looks great.

here is a link to a yoke that will work off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trans-Yoke-Turbo-400-3-3-2431x-1350-series_W0QQitemZ8070224966QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33738QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

lastly the ujoint can be purchased at autozone, I got one there a month ago.

I hope this help

Otis

Otis
Looks like you have a stock oil pan on your 454?
with those engine mounts, Does the oil pan clear the steering draglink?

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
You need to move foward more than 1 inch orr you will also need a large hammer, 2-2.5 is more like it. My 55 ha.d the 1 inch jobs tacked in whrn I got it and the heads would not fit on the dummy block. I built my own similar to those shown above.

·
Registered
68,210 Posts
hi ya and welcome! :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
me,
I'm not worried about the firewall...
cuz there is none... :D it was cut out years ago when the car was a straight axle gasser...

I now have a stock frame under it. and I'll build the new firewall around wherever the engine ends up.

was just wondering about that draglink/oilpan..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts