Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at getting a delivery and really wanted a 2dr wagon.is it possible to pull out the "delivery" panel and replace with a glass?

·
Registered
67,783 Posts
would think it could be done. maybe a local glass shop could help. :anim_25:

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,175 Posts
Not difficult, you must be very carfull to not drill to far. And be sure to take great pains to save the metal inserts. I was able to sell then complete for 500.00. So thay are worth spending some time on. Unless yours are already junk.

Mikey

·
10,175 Posts
Hey I have seen those before......Wait I own those!

Only used on 2 door wagons with roll down windows for the back seat.

Mikey

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
looking at getting a delivery and really wanted a 2dr wagon.is it possible to pull out the "delivery" panel and replace with a glass?
Don't ruin a sedan delivery!!!:p3: Find a 2-dr wagon...:)

·
10,175 Posts
Don't ruin a sedan delivery!!!:p3: Find a 2-dr wagon...:)
I respect your statment. But some of us don't want to bend over the drop gate. I have owned more than one SD and have almost been in accidents because of the RH blind side. So to me it is the best of both worlds. I have owned and restored every model of 55 except the trucks and Corvette. So this one is going to be a hand picking of the best each model had to offer.

Mikey

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Sedan Delivery and believe you could remove the side panels and install glass, but The 2 door wagons have a divided glass. The front section rolls up and down and the rear section is stationary. Finding the rear glass might be hard to do and I would advise doing some research on the glass. Danchuck or Ecklers might have it. If you were going total custom with one piece glass your talking about custom glass if at all possible.
The Sedan Delivery's were very low production vehicles and it would be a shame to turn it into a wagon since the wagons had a higher production number.
Advantages to waiting for a Station Wagon: The rear upper lift gate portion lifts up for circulation where the Sedan Delivery true lift gate does not, the rear side windows open for circulation where the Sedan Delivery only has the 2 side windows.
The metal stamping could be totally different to install the windows and then you would have a completely different problem.
Yes I am trying to talk you out of converting a Sedan Delivery into a Wagon. If I were you I keep searching for a Wagon. As my DAD said "good things come to those who wait!"
SedDel

Attachments

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
why not just buy a 2 door wag
on and install the sedan delivery tailgate seems easyer way to go ?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts

·
10,175 Posts
I originally looked into that. Problem is that the support in the rear door area is completely different. It is larger and more substantial to support the weight of the full door. The rods and hinges and door are all different. I located a nice door for 2500.00 but had no hinges or support. So I kept looking. I located my complete SD in North Dakota. I paid 2500.00 including a title in my name. 300.00 to transport it to me in Wisconsin. The door and all parts on it are nicer than just the other sedan delivery door was.

Then there is this that pops up for a starter project.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item232f8dc924&vxp=mtr

Mikey

·
Registered
532 Posts
Would you mind posting some pics of the hinge area of the sedan delivery? I plan on putting a sedan delivery door on my wagon. I have a door and hinges as well as the hinge cover and I plan on running gas struts with it, so I don't need the torsion rods. But I need an idea of any bracing I may need to add to the wagon to make it work.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
The way I understand it, only the 210 2 dr wagon had roll up windows. THe 150 2 dr wagon had fixed glass in front and standard curved glass behind The only problem I see is the post. Why coudn;t it be done that way?

·
10,175 Posts
It can be done that way. The post is a weld in part with about 3 spot welds on the top and bottom. There is even an indent on the edge of the window opening where it goes. I have removed the metal insert panels and the way they were made was to be a direct install on a 2 door wagon body. All the area, all the way around the insert/window area is the same.

The difference for the roll down window in the back seat area is a simple cut out, and several added guides for the felt channel support. The hardest part is the install of the bottom rubber window stop bracket. It is a weld in part. There is an extra reinforcment added to the beltline area. MP&C Robert made mine for me.

All of the differences around the side window area are not a big deal. The biggest problem is the extra support above the rear gate opening for the liftgate hinges. The Sedan delivery also has an added metal tack strip that is for the head liner. This is special because the rear hinge cover is so much larger than the standard wagon ones.

Mikey

·
10,175 Posts
Would you mind posting some pics of the hinge area of the sedan delivery? I plan on putting a sedan delivery door on my wagon. I have a door and hinges as well as the hinge cover and I plan on running gas struts with it, so I don't need the torsion rods. But I need an idea of any bracing I may need to add to the wagon to make it work.
I will when I get that area uncovered. Right now I am custom building the rear window trim for my glass delivery, out of metal.

Mikey

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
I agree with those that say,"Don't ruin a Sedan Delivery".

There's probably fewer Deliverys than Nomads that
survived the test of time.After all,the sole purpose
of the Deliverys were for use as work and utility vehicles.

Hope you can find a '55 2dr.Wagon instead.:anim_25:

:bowtieb::bowtier::bowtieb::bowtier::bowtieb:

Doug

1 - 19 of 19 Posts