Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a couple questions on my tailgate, as I'm having a really hard time finding out what to order or what I'm missing.

1) Has anyone used a T handle that was NOT "made for a wagon" and didn't cost over $200? Is there something special about the one that is sold by Danchuk, etc. or can I try to find one at a trailer place or something similar?

2) Has anyone found a good diagram or maybe has photos of how the tailgate is assembled? I am struggling to know what exactly I am missing so I've just gone to Danchuk and searched "tailgate" and assumed I will have to order everything that shows up. Right now I just have the gate, the hinges that attach it to the wagon itself, and the cover plate for the inside of it where the handle would come in. I wish there was a parts checklist somewhere.

Thanks!!

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,769 Posts
Most of the parts you need are not reproduced. The handle and the way it is used to move the latch inside the gate is unique to the 55-57
wagons. Any trim level uses the same "T". Used ones can be found.

There is a 1955 fisher book available in reprint that shows all the information on the tail gate and lift gate. You should locate one. It will save
you lots of trouble and asking questions most don't have answers to.

Mikey

Reactions: 56WagonJrStocker

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Copied from the net author unknown.

"I just did this on our 57 while sampling our new cable guides.

the trickiest part of this will be feeding the cable thru the hook up inside the quarter panel. there is no access panel for this , so you have to get underneath the car and reach up there and feed it thru with your hand. it can be difficult. now I heard if you have a 55 or a 56, it could be easier because of the removal of the taillights but I cant comment on that too much since ive never done it with those years.

so basically you have to remove your old stuff. do one side at a time obviously so you always have one cable holding your tailgate. remove the attachment point at the tailgate ( 2 screws , chrome oval and ball pieces ) then let the cable go into the quarter panel. once it retracts into the quarter, remove the access panel that holds the retractor ( 4 screws ) and remove the retractor with cable still attached. you will have to remove your interior side panel to do this.

so you removed your old parts, now swap out the new retractor and cable and install. again, feeding the cable thru the hook is the trickiest part and the most important part. a lot of guys ask me how come theres so much slack with their cable , and why is it so long? well when you bypass that hook at the top and go directly into the hole in the quarter, you change the angle and it gets longer. this is not correct and your tailgate wont open and close properly.

I have found that its easier to feed the cable thru the quarter hole with the cable guide removed because the hole in the quarter is bigger than the hole in the cable guide. it just gives you a bigger target when trying to shoot the cable in there. this install is a lot easier with 2 people let me tell ya. so if you have a helper you will make it a lot easier on yourself.

im sure guys will chime in here with little tips and tricks. I didn't really look into any time saving tricks, I just kind of jumped into it. took me about an hour to do both sides."
__

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hi all,

I have a couple questions on my tailgate, as I'm having a really hard time finding out what to order or what I'm missing.

1) Has anyone used a T handle that was NOT "made for a wagon" and didn't cost over $200? Is there something special about the one that is sold by Danchuk, etc. or can I try to find one at a trailer place or something similar?

2) Has anyone found a good diagram or maybe has photos of how the tailgate is assembled? I am struggling to know what exactly I am missing so I've just gone to Danchuk and searched "tailgate" and assumed I will have to order everything that shows up. Right now I just have the gate, the hinges that attach it to the wagon itself, and the cover plate for the inside of it where the handle would come in. I wish there was a parts checklist somewhere.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Most of the parts you need are not reproduced. The handle and the way it is used to move the latch inside the gate is unique to the 55-57
wagons. Any trim level uses the same "T". Used ones can be found.

There is a 1955 fisher book available in reprint that shows all the information on the tail gate and lift gate. You should locate one. It will save
you lots of trouble and asking questions most don't have answers to.

Mikey
View attachment 333890
I have the reprints of this booklet here. [email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts