Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so last year the car ran well. Then the carb got plug last year with some old gas. Cleaned, soaked and rebuild the carb, but it's not been running since.

engine is a 327 with a holley carb and points.

it's really close to running, but something is off. any ideas based on how it sounds?
https://youtu.be/D9n7fIJth1M

I don't know much about these holley carbs, but I read the set up instructios and watched videos and I'm just about out of ideas. is it still the carb, or is the timing off now?

thankx
jerr

Attachments

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Fill a bottle cap with fresh gas & dump it down the carb if the engine fires up for a few seconds your old gas is the problem.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Get a spray can of starter fluid.

Spray a small amount in the car and try to start the car. If the car fires up, then quits, it is the carb.

You can actually keep an engine running for a short period of time with periodic (like every 5 seconds or so) small sprays of starter fluid.

It is a pretty quick and easy way to diagnose a possible fuel problem.

·
Administrator
48,473 Posts
Could also be the fuel pump....Did you look down the throat of the carburetor to see if the accelerator pump is working?

·
Premium Member
50,776 Posts
Get a spray can of starter fluid.

Spray a small amount in the car and try to start the car. If the car fires up, then quits, it is the carb.

You can actually keep an engine running for a short period of time with periodic (like every 5 seconds or so) small sprays of starter fluid.

It is a pretty quick and easy way to diagnose a possible fuel problem.

I've done this many times.....if it works the check fuel pump & gas line ..... :anim_25:
Cowboy :flag6:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
65,618 Posts
if your carb got plugged, so did other things (like filter , pump, fuel line, etc.). :anim_25:

·
Administrator
63,169 Posts
Your short clip is only indicating that the engine is turning over but not firing.

Starter fluid is the quickest way to see if the engine fires up, if it doesn't I would pull plug No.1 out and see if its wet if it is it would be a sign that you have flooded the engine.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i guess I should have said new fuel tank, and fuel pump. it gets plenty of gas to carb. Accelerator pump is working and its squinting gas just fine so I don't think starting fluid is going to make a difference. New plugs have been installed as well.

I realized yesterday I have another carb. it's a two barrel holley that I got for my 63 gmc. i can throw it on the 56 and test that I suppose.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Another possibility is that the timing chain is loose and may have jumped a tooth......

To check a loose timing chain remove the distributor cap.... Then put a breaker bar onto the damper bolt and rotate the crankshaft back and forth while watching the rotor....

There should be zero play......

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I was hoping some SBC expert would hear the video and say "oh well that's ...X" .. but I'm still at square one.

Got spark?
ya know.. of course I have spark......... well I did last year. mmmmmmmmm I checked again yesterday and it was really weak. Checked the gap and the points may be burnt from all the cranking I did and leaving the ignition on trying to start it last year. The feeler gauge was not moving back and forth nice and smooth.

Or it could be the coil ... or the starter.... who knows?

So I guess I'll have to go through that whole system again.

Were the plugs wet, you may have flooded them.

As mentioned you need spark.
yes.. that's why I put in fresh plugs.

Another possibility is that the timing chain is loose and may have jumped a tooth......

To check a loose timing chain remove the distributor cap.... Then put a breaker bar onto the damper bolt and rotate the crankshaft back and forth while watching the rotor....

There should be zero play......
thanx..A actually thought of that ... but I haven't run it hard since it ran last. I may as well check that as well. :tu

·
Premium Member
10,224 Posts
I think I would start with a tune up. Might be rough or burned points, could also be a failed condenser. Low hanging fruit in my view, fresh or cleaned plugs, new points and a condenser, look the inside of the cap over real well.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I would start with a tune up. Might be rough or burned points, could also be a failed condenser. Low hanging fruit in my view, fresh or cleaned plugs, new points and a condenser, look the inside of the cap over real well.
yeah... that's pretty much where I'm at. Just gona go down the list. Something has definitely gone wrong with the spark. Hopefully it's one of the three (coil, points, or condenser). If not, I'll be stumped again as to why things have changed so much.

thank for hearing me out everyone :tu

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts