Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a couple of years now without any update posts on my initial thread here so I thought it was time now.

Plans changed due to some problems with the 305 SBC so the 305 / TH350 combo is on its way out and a LS1 with a 4L60
E is purchased.
Accordingly new engine mounts, radiator, headers, oil pan etc have been purchased.
Rack and pinion from CCI is also in a box ready for installation.
2 extra outer and inner fenders were also bought so now I have 5 outer fenders, 4 inner fenders, three doors and two hoods..... and definitely a way too small garage.

Posting a couple of pictures from when I pulled the 305 / 350 combo out, forgot to plug the yoke in the TH350 and I had transmission oil all over the floor...how stupid can one be:mad:

Well anyhow my frame is galvanized once so it does not rust, but some of the black paint have gone so I need to repaint part of it at least and now is a good opportunity because the front end is also removed.:happy0014:

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

Further plans are to paint my front springs and lower A arms just delivered for sandblasting and install R/P and front suspension.
Also need to pull out the new 5/16" fuel pipe I just added and install a 3/8" fuel pipe to the planned Corvette combo fuel regulator.
A new fuel tank from Tanks inc is also ready for installation.
My rear fenders need to be sandblasted and welded in, they are currently cut loose, the passenger door probably needs to have the panel replaced and I am considering having the inside floor and the trunk of the car sandblasted as well.

·
Registered
66,552 Posts
nice progress, thanks for sharing perg. :tu

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Painting front part of frame

As the paint on the front part of the frame was chipped many places I decided to respray the front part of the frame.
Started by de greasing and cleaning it, then rubbed and sanded the existing paint. Acid painted the bare metal parts of the frame.
Then I put on two coats of Eastwood Chassis Black Extreme.
Now it looks much better and I can start on installing the LS1 engine mounts and putting the front suspension and steering back on :)

frame painted.jpg

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Thanks for the updated photos of progress.. Mike

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trial fit

Thanks to Nick for the idea wrt the 19" jig....but I wonder is it extremely important to measure that both mounts are at the same position on the frame length. How much will 2-3 mm difference affect the setup.
I find it very difficult to measure this because I can find no good benchmarks on the frame.
If the difference is too big the engine will not be straight in the frame...:confused0006:

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rack and pinion crossmember

I settled for the installation of the Ecklers LS1 side engine mounts, fixing them with only 2 bolts. Will bolt them with all four when I install the engine.
This way I can make some minor adjustments if necessary.

I trial fitted the rack and pinion crossmember (Ecklers) and it looks like this:

DSC_0211.jpg

However 3 x 3 mm shim plates were included in the kit for each side and I had space to add one on the drivers side, but the pass side only have space on the top.
Will the frame pull in 3 mm towards the crossmember on the top ?
Anyone else have experience with the rack and pinion installation from Ecklers let me know :confused0006:

DSC_0212.jpg

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,680 Posts
I doubt your frame will pull in 3mm with just bolting in the R&P cross-member, but it may pull in slightly once you set the engine back into the frame. The weight will be at the bottom of the cradle and may be enough to pull the top in slightly. I would suggest re-tightening the R&P cross-member once you have the engine in place again. 3mm is a very small amount, but with these frame it may be possible to rotate that much.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Project update

Some days since last update, but I have now picked up my F-body LS1 and 4L60E, the latter from a 2000 T/A.
Along with this a Griffin radiator and a new repro splash pan.
Trial fitted the engine without the transmission and it was tight at certain places.
It was quite obvious that the battery box had to go so I guess it will be a battery in the trunk.
I think I have to adjust the position of the engine mounts on the frame because both the installation bolts seems to tilt outwards so 2 mm on both sides should be ok.

eng brk installed.jpg engine trial fit.jpg

left motormount.jpg right motormount.jpg

battery case right coil.jpg

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Project update

These pictures show how close the booster is to the left coil and the second picture show how close it is on the right rearmost coil bracket.

left coil and booster.jpg right coil brk.jpg

Anyhow this trial fit gave me a lot of answers to what I have to do when the engine and transmission is going to be permanently installed.

:burnout:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oil pan

Having bought the Ecklers LS1 kit with headers, oil pan, transmission cross member and all necessary brackets I started out yesterday trying to put a new oil filter on the new oil pan.
Guess what the LS1 oil filter (AC Delco PF46E) I had acquired from my local shop didn't fit.
After reading the part number of the oil pan it seems to be a GM LH8 oil pan so now I have just been to my local shop again to buy another oil filter, the PF48 from AC Delco.
That fits perfect.
Also worth to note, I checked the oil pan capacity, as far as I can see it is 5,5 quarts which is equivalent to 5,2 liters.

:argh:

Why couldn't Ecklers have told me in the first place.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New oil pan and dipstick

Installed new oil pan from Ecklers tonight.

Came with a new windage tray and pickup sump.

DSC_0007.jpg

New (LH8?) oil pan installed with new PF48E filter from AC Delco.

DSC_0008.jpg

Ready for next stage...attach transmission to engine and install in car.

:burnout:

1 - 20 of 206 Posts