Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

141 - 160 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Holley kit

While having the engine out of the car was a good time to test fit the Holley high mount kit and see if all the parts did line up as they should.

Power steering and alternator bracket in place

ps and alt brck.jpg

Obviously the power steering pump did not fit at all so I guess I need to source a Corvette pump.

ps pump.jpg

Tensioner on the passenger side bracket does not look right, need to source a Corvette version I think.

tensioner not right.jpg

However the alternator and AC pump seems to fit and the trailing edge of the belts seems to be ok.

alt and ac pump in place.jpg

Also took the time to install the Dakota Digital temperature sensor

adapter for DD.jpg
dd temp sensor.jpg
DD temp sensor in place.jpg

:bowtieb:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Stripped the engine for painting

Have ordered some engine paint along with new power steering pump and reservoir.
So I spent the night stripping the engine of all unnecessary items like starter, water pump, engine brackets and intake.
Will start cleaning it tomorrow and paint as soon as the paint arrives.

20200428_193829.jpg

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Power steering pump

Got the Corvette power steering pump and reservoir today.

That certainly looked more appropriate, just need to get a short piece of hose from the reservoir to the pump.

20200429_200222.jpg

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
New air compressor

Been waiting for a new air compressor for a while now and when the electric system in my house had to be upgraded I could finally buy a new 3 phase air compressor.
The new compressor can deliver much more air than my other two air compressors combined can so this will be exciting.
A short test yesterday with an air cutting wheel and it easily cut off 3 mm steel, whilst I with the other combo had to wait until pressure built up before I could continue.

new compressor.jpg

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Engine painted

Recieved my engine paint, 1956 Chevrolet red POR15.
Painted the water pump and the engine block separately while leaving the heads aluminium.
Used foam brushes and it did not give a superb result, but ok for engine paint I think.
Will be better when I put on next layer.

20200510_225629.jpg

20200510_225645.jpg

Will paint valve covers later, preferably by a spray gun.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Natonal day small work

Being the National day of Norway today I wasn't supposed to be working, but I couldn't help it.
Having the two backseat armrest panels sandblasted yesterday and I had to put on some epoxy primer to prevent them from rusting again.

rear seat armrest panels.jpg

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I'm amazed just how many parts in these cars are just in bare metal from factory, like those armrests. Nobody is going to see them with upholstery but that's the way it should be done.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
I'm amazed just how many parts in these cars are just in bare metal from factory, like those armrests. Nobody is going to see them with upholstery but that's the way it should be done.
At least now I can tuck them away and know that they are ready for upholstery when that day comes.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
After 2 weeks of vacation some new parts had arrived, for instance new water pump gaskets and I could put the water pump back in place.
However not before removing the remains of old gasket....tedious job using a razor blade to remove old gasket :oops:

Anyway now it is back where it's supposed to be and I can start on other tasks.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Got a new tensioner for a Corvette setup since the F-body tensioner did not fit my Holley setup for the LS1.
A new power steering pump, reservoir and wheel had to be purchased as well since all these parts did not fit.

Tested everything with a new serpentine belt. Looking good so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Had some spare time so I decided to install the fuel gauge sender and the fuel pump in my new Tanks tank.
Perfect job to do in the living room with a cold beer. However it turned out to be a lot of cutting and modifying before everything went in.
This tank comes with a universal sender that has to be trimmed and modified to fit this tank.
After a lot of fiddling I was able to fit the sender into the tank.
Please note that the float was turned 90 degrees before it was installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
The fuel pump Tanks supplied is a PSA-2 from Walbro. The installation was no better than the fuel sender, actually even more trimming and adjusting to make it fit.
A lot of measuring and double checking on the length of the plastic tube for the pump.
The reservoir filter was stubborn to get onto the pump, the sock was stubborn and after all trimming of tube lengths to make it fit even the reservoir filter had to be persuaded through the hole in the tank and the pump assembly in itself barely made it through the hole.
Not very impressed by the engineering on this part......

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Brought my Griffin radiator up on the kitchen table, took some measures and cut some holes in the right radiator filler plate.
These are for the upper radiator hose, the zink anode that I am planning to add and the air conditioning lines.
Probably close some of the unused holes as well....

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Installed an electric winch so I can wheel the car out of the garage and just simply pull it in using the winch. Cheap china stuff, but it does the job.

Saturday was a sunny day among all the rainy days so I tested my sandblaster and my new (used) air compressor after rolling the car out of the garage.
Needed to blast away some undercoating and rust on the rear left inner fender. Must take the opportunity when the fenders are off.
Used 75 kg of sand, but managed to remove most of the undercoating and brushed on a layer of epoxy paint.

20200723_204848.jpg

20200726_155338.jpg

20200726_165716.jpg

141 - 160 of 204 Posts