Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

161 - 180 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #161 (Edited)
Some more sandblasting to finalize the right inner fender area and door jamb.
Epoxy primer to protect it.
20200728_204013.jpg
20200728_204006.jpg

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Hey,those sandblasted and primered areas look pretty good.Keep those updates coming,good going.
Thanks Big Bob. I had sand just about everywhere on my body after that sandblasting session, but it's good to get it done :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Some more sandblasting on Saturday until the rubber hose on the sandblaster started to rupture.
Had to stop then, did not want it to rupture in my hands. Ordered a new hose today and will be ready in a couple of days.
Used my spot blaster to finish the left inner fender area and then I put on some epoxy primer. Done.
Remaining to sandblast the door jamb area, the wheel tubs, the trunk, around the front and rear window, the inside of the car.....and so on.

left.jpg
left 1.jpg

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Welded up some of the radiator filler panels and added some new holes for the new Griffin radiator and condenser.

left panel.jpg
right panel.jpg
both and support.jpg

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Planning where I am going to have the fuse box and decided to put it approximately where the original fuse box was located however a little bit further down to have better access to it.
Made a bracket for it since I need to have two electronic relays next to it for the turn signal and to my surprise they didn't fit into the fuse box I had purchased.
Still need to have another fuse/relay box in the engine compartment due to ignition, cooling fans and so on.
bracket.jpg
brckt and fusebox.jpg

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Drove the car to a sandblasting guy the other day. Need to remove some rust in the trunk, door hinge area, around the roof line, window openings and so on.
trailer.jpg

While the car is there I have started looking at the LS wiring.
Beginning to understand it now, not that difficult.

wiring LS.jpg

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Right hand door. Started to remove the skin.
skin loose.jpg

Almost there

almost ready.jpg

Finally separated

skin removed.jpg

Now I can send the base off to sandblasting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thats is a serious restoration.
I did the same on one door both the other ones that is in better shape i just cleaned and will put rust stopper (thin oil) after i have painted the doors.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Thats is a serious restoration.
I did the same on one door both the other ones that is in better shape i just cleaned and will put rust stopper (thin oil) after i have painted the doors.
My left door seems to be in better shape than this one so it might be that I end up just cleaning and priming the left door, but I need to look closer at it first.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Rear fenders sandblasted, epoxy primed and painted on the inside ready to meet the car as soon as the paint is dry.

20201005_194347.jpg

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Been waiting for a lot of new parts and most of them arrived today. Not that I really need them right now, maybe apart for the new rocker channels, but I started looking at the trunk hinges.
Just attached them temporarily using screws and will weld them later. Had to measure on the trunk lid the maximum opening between the bolts and minimum opening. This way I could figure out whether the trunk lid will fit to the hinges or not. However there are so much play in both the hinges and the attaching points that it probably is no issue.
Hope this statement will not bite me in my behind at a later stage......:ROFLMAO:
However the max distance between the bolts I found was 1152 mm and the minimum 1132, all approximate measures. In addition there are play in the pivot bolts and the bolt holes in the trunk lid are over sized so again should not be an issue.
What is worse is that the lower attachment of the hinges towards the wheel well, a radius piece of sheet metal to be spot welded to the wheel well does not seem to fit well so I have to come up with a good idea to make it fit properly or at least attach it in a solid way. PO have replaced some patches of sheet metal in the wheel wells so I assume that he have not been able to duplicate the original piece. However I have seen pictures of several trunks where these are straightened and just welded solid to the wheel well so that might be the easiest solution.
No need for the original jack bracket so removed this.

Both hinges temporarily attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
To my horror I discovered that my rear quarter panels lack the lower 5-10 cm where the lower end are going to be spot welded to the inner rocker panel.
Seems like PO have fabricated a long solid piece of rocker panel from front edge of door to the rear wheel. It almost aligns with the left door, but the right door is 50mm off so I knew I had to do something about it, but it is embarrassing that I haven't seen the quarter panel hiccup before, and I certainly am unsure how to fix it.
I knew that there were a lot of patching and welding for PO that were low quality, but I wasn't ready for this.
Buying new quarter panels seems quite costly so one option would be to just make an extension to the quarter panel so it can be spot welded to the inner rocker channel, but that again involves removing both existing rocker channels and put on new ones together with an extension of the quarter panels. Sigh......

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Attached both hinges temporarily with screws and bolts. Had to extend the right hinge box to meet the wheel well. Somebody have done some welding on the wheel well and it does not quite have the original shape anymore.
Put the torsion rods in place and tomorrow I will try to put the trunk lid on for testing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Did a quick test installation of the trunk lid, but somehow it doesn't want to close the last 10+ cm and I don't know why.
The hinges worked fine and closed with no problem before I put on the torsion rods and the lid....

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Good progress thus far.
Could you have someone gently close the trunk while you look from the rear seat area to see if the torsion bars are binding somewhere.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Good progress thus far.
Could you have someone gently close the trunk while you look from the rear seat area to see if the torsion bars are binding somewhere.
Thanks Bill, I had my son crawl into the trunk from the backseat, but he couldn't see any problem with the torsion bars, but maybe I have to dive in there myself....

161 - 180 of 204 Posts