Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit:
Ok folks....Thanks for checking out my build thread. I know, I know, when you first start reading it something seems amiss (all this talk about drip rails) but this was indeed a thread that started as a drip rail discussion and blossomed into more of a build thread. Some suggested that we rename it and Pops was kind enough to oblige. Sorry if you have to wade through several pages of stuff to get there....

Ken

When I get my new cab from Premier Street Rods I am torn on whether I want to shave the drip rails or not. I am paying extra to have the doors smooth (no handles) and am certainly not doing a stock build. What say you, the forum faithful, on the issue of rails or no rails?

On a side note, we are in the process of picking a color. Never thought it would be this difficult!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Will the Truck ever be outside in the Rain? Very Clean look on a full blown Custom,
I like the look, But choose not to, Why? well, i like the old school look of the drip rails also,
and i am at a point that if i choose to delete the drip rails on "My" Trucks,
i will NEVER get them done! Lol...
Allen

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Well, since your already shaving the door handles you may as well go ahead and screw the rest of it up too! :confused0006:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think one piece windows and shaved drip rails make the top look visually smaller which, IMO, it needs to. After cutting 3" from the top though, I thought the drip rails needed to stay as they define the line of the windows where two tone paint was going to be. I also took 1 3/4" out of the hood because I thought it looked to "bulbous" when the top was shorter.....but I kept the door handles so I guess I didn't ruin it. Don't let comments like that keep you from building what your minds eye sees. They usually come from -----------'s.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you guys....I am torn between door handles and no-door handles. Regarding the drip rails...I live in Florida and it RAINS a lot! I will be driving the truck (not just sitting back and looking at it). I am heavily leaning to keeping them...I know my project will drive the "purists" nuts, but other than the aforementioned door handles I'm really not doing anything too radical. Coil overs vs airbags will at least keep the stance a little less radical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I hear you guys....I am torn between door handles and no-door handles. Regarding the drip rails...I live in Florida and it RAINS a lot! I will be driving the truck (not just sitting back and looking at it). I am heavily leaning to keeping them...I know my project will drive the "purists" nuts, but other than the aforementioned door handles I'm really not doing anything too radical. Coil overs vs airbags will at least keep the stance a little less radical

You being a Tide Fan I knew you would come to your senses!! :tu Only a GT fan would think a door don't need a dang knob on it. :sign0020:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,224 Posts
Well, since your already shaving the door handles you may as well go ahead and screw the rest of it up too! :confused0006:
You being a Tide Fan I knew you would come to your senses!! :tu Only a GT fan would think a door don't need a dang knob on it. :sign0020:

Moon....You are in rare form tonight buddy :)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Dang moon i bet it drove you crazy riding into the shades show with me a couple years ago in the 56. Lol
Smooth, have you forgotten just how long I tried to get in until I finally had to ask you to let me in!!

Looks good, but how do you work the dang things. Must be idiot proof or something!!

It's enough for me to have to figure out how to put gas in a 56, let alone how to get in one without any door knobs! :sign0020:

You know how us purest are.

Are you and Star going to make it up to the Nationals this year?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Smooth, have you forgotten just how long I tried to get in until I finally had to ask you to let me in!!

Looks good, but how do you work the dang things. Must be idiot proof or something!!

It's enough for me to have to figure out how to put gas in a 56, let alone how to get in one without any door knobs! :sign0020:

You know how us purest are.

Are you and Star going to make it up to the Nationals this year?
:sign0020: Yep we will be there arriving Thursday staying at the host hotel. Was looking for you at the Hot rod reunion last month that was awesome.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Well one thing for sure. It doesn't rain all the time. MIke

·
Premium Member
13,409 Posts
the big thing with shaving the drip rails leads to even more work. you then have to spend even more time making the door gaps perfect or it will look like poop.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pros and cons for shaved drip rails

Yeah...the more I think about it the more I am inclined to keep them. Besides, why on earth would I want to spend even more money on this truck?

·
Registered
238 Posts
well on my last 57 truck I built I was in the same situation as you. The old should I/ shouldn't I deal with drip rails ,handles etc... then after I painted it, as I would wash it I would say I should of done this or I should have done that... This time around Iam doing all the things I said I should of done. LOL But us being human Iam sure I will find something I should of done when its all done....Good luck, don't sweat it , Iam sure it will come out nice...just enjoy the build.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
well on my last 57 truck I built I was in the same situation as you. The old should I/ shouldn't I deal with drip rails ,handles etc... then after I painted it, as I would wash it I would say I should of done this or I should have done that... This time around Iam doing all the things I said I should of done. LOL But us being human Iam sure I will find something I should of done when its all done....Good luck, don't sweat it , Iam sure it will come out nice...just enjoy the build.
I'm curious, have you ever looked back and thought, "I should have left it to hell alone." :sign0020:

1 - 20 of 276 Posts