Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

241 - 260 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Good question....Canuck!

After we get the chassis and truck rolling it's going to Knoxville TN so Steve Holcomb and his team at Pro Custom Auto can build the interior.

I can't wait, but it seems I'm going to have to wait some more...LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Quick update.....

Truck is completely painted now, but still in pieces. We need a couple of frame parts to be powder coated and the business we are using is closed for the time being due to illness (this virus is brutal for all of us).

Once we get the parts completed we start with putting her all back together.

Getting EXCITED!

Everyone stay healthy out there....
IMG_3746.jpg

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #244 (Edited)
I figured it's high time for an update:

We have been assembling the frame and it's coming along nicely....as well as the wiring.

Tedious and time-consuming, but making progress.

Here are some photos for your viewing pleasure.
IMG_4669.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4690.jpg

IMG_4688.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
I guess you all stopped looking or maybe my thread it isn't working anymore.

It seems like this once bustling place got a lot less bustle in it....bummer.

If anyone sees these last two posts and the pics please let me know....without any replies I'm not sure it even worked.

Thanks in advance....Ken

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
you posted with multiple photos 4 months ago, and then again 5 days ago (photos without much context or explanation).. which probably explains why you got no comments...

PS. If you have questions or problems, I'm sure you'll get comments. Otherwise you should consider your project thread and photos as being for your own benefit documenting your work and progress.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You're doing a great job! I, for 1, can't wait to see its progress and the finished truck. I have the same problem with my thread..please continue posting as it is inspiration for a bunch of people even if they don't comment

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,406 Posts
I follow and add likes but don't comment a lot. I think it's great you are posting photos of all your steps. Always enjoy seeing what you've done with your quality work.
Very, very nice.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Thanks guys...I wasn't bitching (although I'm sure it looked that way)I really just wanted to make sure my thread was still working.

I should be posting more often and staying more up-to-date on everyone's projects,, but I have been laying low on social media, the news. and just about everything with all the BS going on out there with Covid and whatnot.

As for questions for the forum, here's one....

I am using zebra wood for the bed and bought the lumber several years ago (when I thought we were progressing quickly, but I was sadly mistaken....LOL) So we laid out the boards for the bed and after close scrutiny have decided that the two outside boards, which were cut from the same piece of wood, do not match (or flow) with the rest of the wood. Now I need to new boards.

The original place that I bought the lumber from (Advantage Lumber in Sarasota FL) does not have any material that will work and has been unable to locate any for me. Do any of y'all have a suggestion for a place that carries zebra wood? I know that it is used from time-to-time in these truck projects (I got my idea to use it from sweet looking pics I saw on the Internet). Any help would be much-appreciated!

Our plan for the bed wood is to have it tilt up on an electric motor (all the middle boards as an integrated unit..the two outside boards will remain stationary). That way we have easy access to fuel tank and with the bed wood tilted up, all the craftsmanship underneath the wood can be seen and maintained much easier.

Here's a photo of the boards we are keeping. We are using the standard factory-recommended widths for the boards.
IMG_4027.jpg

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
you posted with multiple photos 4 months ago, and then again 5 days ago (photos without much context or explanation).. which probably explains why you got no comments...

PS. If you have questions or problems, I'm sure you'll get comments. Otherwise you should consider your project thread and photos as being for your own benefit documenting your work and progress.
Thanks for the tips...

·
Registered
13,406 Posts
Thanks guys...I wasn't bitching (although I'm sure it looked that way)I really just wanted to make sure my thread was still working.

I should be posting more often and staying more up-to-date on everyone's projects,, but I have been laying low on social media, the news. and just about everything with all the BS going on out there with Covid and whatnot.

As for questions for the forum, here's one....

I am using zebra wood for the bed and bought the lumber several years ago (when I thought we were progressing quickly, but I was sadly mistaken....LOL) So we laid out the boards for the bed and after close scrutiny have decided that the two outside boards, which were cut from the same piece of wood, do not match (or flow) with the rest of the wood. Now I need to new boards.

The original place that I bought the lumber from (Advantage Lumber in Sarasota FL) does not have any material that will work and has been unable to locate any for me. Do any of y'all have a suggestion for a place that carries zebra wood? I know that it is used from time-to-time in these truck projects (I got my idea to use it from sweet looking pics I saw on the Internet). Any help would be much-appreciated!

Our plan for the bed wood is to have it tilt up on an electric motor (all the middle boards as an integrated unit..the two outside boards will remain stationary). That way we have easy access to fuel tank and with the bed wood tilted up, all the craftsmanship underneath the wood can be seen and maintained much easier.

Here's a photo of the boards we are keeping. We are using the standard factory-recommended widths for the boards.
View attachment 321231

Oh man, that is going to look super!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Any local lumber supplier should be able to source it for you. You might even get them to get pics from supplier before ordering. If you can't let me know and I can get national vendors for you. Benefits of having a cabinet company LOL

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Thanks SGI...It definitely needs to fit with the rest of the bed wood. I have found plenty if zebra wood, but it has all been lacking in the "zebra" part....ie not so awesome stripes.

I will let you know...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Ran into a pretty big SNAFU this week. My LT-1 with all the fancy March performance pulleys and whatnot won't fit behind the big custom aluminum radiator with SPAL fans...not enough clearance. Damn, always something!!

On a more positive note, we mated the cab to the frame yesterday so it's starting to look like a truck at least. Yay

Have a great weekend gents!!
IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
Post some photos of your problem... maybe someone here can help you... :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Post some photos of your problem... maybe someone here can help you... :)
I would if I could, but after mocking it all up it was clear we have to replace the two 13" SPAL fans with some smaller (and ironically more powerful) slimmer profile fans that would let all the stuff fit and operate like it's supposed to...always something.

Oh well, nothing that more money won't fix...ugh!

Here's what the original rainstorm and fan setup looked like:
View attachment 321567

·
Registered
15,333 Posts
Wow,its looking great.The whole frame buildup looks awesome.Keep the updates and pics coming,good work. Bob

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #259 (Edited)
Thanks Bob....took a week off and have a bunch of stuff ordered that will be getting installed this week. Had to buy smaller fans and fabricate a new shroud that will fit in front of the March Performance shiny stuff bolted onto the motor.

Always something, it seems.....

Have a happy Sunday and I will send some updates when I get them. This project goes in spurts and at times is really cooking, only to slow back down to a crawl...lol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Its looking good!! Soon it will be rolling and then a short time till its running...at least thats what I keep telling myself!

241 - 260 of 275 Posts