Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

281 - 300 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 · (Edited)
Working through the process of building an air box and cold air intake that'll fit into this suddenly VERY cramped forward section of the engine compartment. Getting it all to fit and squeezing the mass-airflow sensor in for this LT1 has been a challenge to say the least, but Keith is the man.

Still have some work to do on the air box and hopefully will be going to Mr Powdercoater this week. Hell yeah!

Ordered shocks today and waiting patiently for my wheels to show up.

Getting closer.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 · (Edited)
Little update...the 'Rona has been slowing down our processes lately!! Been VERY aggravating, but making some progress.

Finally got the Smokey Road Rod Shop bed panels
installed and let me tell you...as good as it looks in photos it looks even BETTER in person. Stunning.

Anyhow, waiting on the chrome man and the wheel man to deliver so we can keep moving towards the finish line and get her to the INTERIOR MAN.

Cheers!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Truck is looking awesome!! I know how you feel...frustrating waiting on UPS everyday hoping....LOL

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m fully caught up on the 56’ saga! Very impressed with your determination and tasteful eye.
Keep up the excellent build, your secretly motivating us all!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
Thanks for the comments guys....it's getting there! Slowly, but surely....

One thing that I figured out this week (and I'm ashamed it took this long) is that my truck is actually a 1955. I've been told all my life that my grandfather's truck was a '56 and had continued thinking that....all the way to this past week when we got the VIN off the frame and turns out it is a '55.

The VIN plate had been missing off the cab since I started the project in 2009 (I think it just rusted off and disappeared) or was stolen when the truck sat unattended for decades at the family farm. We are getting the insurance stuff together which necessitated getting the VIN and we still had the old frame sitting in the back of the shop so we finally got around to making it "official." I guess I need to re-title my thread...lol.

Waiting on a few parts from the chrome man to allow us to fire the engine up and get it tuned, get the wheels in and mounted (they are enroute from Coys), install the glass and then things will REALLY be cooking. I am getting excited to take her to Knoxville TN and give her to Steve Holcomb and crew to work their interior magic!

Just like in all phases of life, COVID (and back surgery..lol) has significantly impacted the build in 2020.

Anyhow, the saga continues.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,771 Posts
Check with the local DMV about getting a new VIN sticker for the truck. They will certainly want to see the vin stamped on the frame. I think you're going to run in to some roadblocks with this problem. Not that they can't be overcome, but they will certainly be speedbumps.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
Yeah I know Etriggs....it's been a PITA so far. Thanks for the advice. Luckily Georgia isn't as hardcore as other states.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 ·
I need to get a cover for my truck.....

Is there a consensus out there on which cover is the best? Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 · (Edited)
Got her rolling.....

Pretty dark and not the best pics (because of the cold weather and in the shop and all) but they will have to do for now.

Not overly happy with how low-profile the tires are, but I'll burn these off and buy some new ones with a taller sidewall...LOL

Progress!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Thanks guys...should have her running in the next couple of days. Fingers-crossed!!

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Gorgeous '55 Chevy! Love the '55-'59 truck lines!
Sure hope you get it titled with no problems. Would be sad to see it all completed and then have a battle to title it!

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Mighty fine! The flip floor is awesome.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
Gorgeous '55 Chevy! Love the '55-'59 truck lines!
Sure hope you get it titled with no problems. Would be sad to see it all completed and then have a battle to title it!
We are well on the way to fixing that little SNAFU. Fingers-crossed as well.

Thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 · (Edited)
Little update: Working on the last body part...the front bumper. Trying to shave it down to better "fit" the front. Just need a tad more to make the outer edges lay tighter to the body. Slow and TEDIOUS!

Couple more pics after trimming the sides....

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
We got her running this week...finally. It was a little exasperating because one of the plugs for the engine controls was wired incorrectly and it took HOURS of trouble-shooting to figure out what was causing it to run so rough. Turns out the idle control motor plug was wired BACKWARDS which certainly didn't help.

She purrs like a kitten now....a moderately deep-throated, LOUD KITTEN! LOL.

Anyhow, now all we need is some odds and ends and get the glass installed and she's headed to Knoxville Tennessee so Steve Holcomb at Pro Custom Auto can work his magic on the interior.

Slowly but surely.....can't wait!!

·
Registered
833 Posts
This is an amazing build Bama. The patience and persistence has definitely paid off for you on this truck! great Job and I'm tickled to death for you. That is going to be one NICE RIDE!

·
Registered
833 Posts
I forgot to ask are you bringing that baby to the nationals this year? I'd love to drool all over it.

281 - 300 of 316 Posts