Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

301 - 316 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 · (Edited)
EZ...thanks for the kind words brother. Nationals? You must be assuming I get it back in time...lol.

I am jumping up and down to get things done, but it seems we are always in a "hurry up and wait mode." Nothing in particular and nobody sloughing around, but damn this takes time!

Had to re-do the cold-air intake filter box. The other one wouldn't fit after we moved the front bumper back and "tucked" it up.

Here's take-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Re your '55-'56 confusion: Did your truck have the original hood and emblem on it when you started? (I took a look thru your thread but never found one)..

"55 hood emblems were different than '56-'57 emblems..." I'm curious how that fact escaped you... :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Yep it did....you've never seen it because of two things:

1) While we were originally going to use the hood from my grandfather's truck (the hood and the cab were the only things "worth" salvaging after decades of exposure and the resulting decay) I ended up buying an entire sheet metal package from Premier Street Rods and used their brand new hood.

2) Any pictures of that original hood would've been without the hood ornament because I took it off early in the build and hung it above my workbench. It was in pretty terrible shape as well.

This project STARTED as a re-build and has morphed into a completely new build that sadly doesn't include any of my granddaddy's truck. (Other than the memories made in that truck when I was a little kid and young man) It bums me out, but it is what it is.

Also, we decided NOT to put a hood ornament on the new build. Went back and forth, but that was the consensus.

The fact escaped me because my grandfather told me it was a '56 (not sure why he was confused) and because I lost the hood ornament when my ex-wife threw it (and other things of mine) away during a bitter divorce. Some of the other stuff was way more valuable, but I'm still pissed about the hood ornament.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Given that you have a 'completely new' truck, new sheet metal and new chassis, you could probably 'call' your truck whatever year you want. If your memory has '56 associated with it', then call it a '56! :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
LOL...right! I guess you are correct. I decided to call it a '55 (since that is what is "actually" was) and my wife made me a custom sign for my garage so I'm stuck...lol

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
A little update:

Pulled Rosie out of the garage and did the first burnouts. She runs GREAT!! Funny running down the road with no front glass and no hood, but hey you gotta do what you gotta do....

Coming along nicely. Get the glass in and have her run through the dyno and she's off to Knoxville for the interior.

Getting there....

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Waste of money for a dyno.. unless you need it tuned on the dyno? If it runs good enough for you, the only purpose of a dyno sheet is for 'bragging'... Just my opinion! :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's looking great!!! Get that glass and interior in and go enjoy driving and showing it off!!!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
Thanks guys...and I hear ya nomad! It's running a little rich and Keith wants to get it fine-tuned. Trust me, I'm not looking to have bragging rights or have it running too hot, but want to get it just right. He has the man for the job...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
Side note: we did get all the VIN stuff taken care of and we are good to go with registering it...that's always a relief.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Side note: we did get all the VIN stuff taken care of and we are good to go with registering it...that's always a relief.

Glad it went OK! That's the first thing I take care of before even starting a build. I've heard horror stories about guys finishing builds and then having title issues. I have a friend here who bought a car and after he finished it he discovered it was stolen! He got a title with it, so figured it was OK. But turned out the person who sold it to him rented the property and discovered the real owner had left the title in the glovebox!
Fortunately the real owner felt sorry for him, and let him buy it for what it was worth prior to the restoration work. But that meant he paid another $2,000 to buy it again, on top of the $1500 he paid the thief.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
Yeah...I'm glad I don't have to deal with that kind of BS. Mine has been my grand father's since the early 70's, but he died in 1992 and I don't have any documentation and the the state of Georgia doesn't keep records of stuff that far back. Thankfully we are all GOOD.

Yay!

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's awesome that you kept it and going to have all the past and make future memories with it!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Yeah...I'm glad I don't have to deal with that kind of BS. Mine has been my grand father's since the early 70's, but he died in 1992 and I don't have any documentation and the the state of Georgia doesn't keep records of stuff that far back. Thankfully we are all GOOD.

Yay!

Well that would make me more comfortable about taking my time getting the paperwork done. Certainly not like buying from a stranger with unknown provenance.

301 - 316 of 316 Posts