Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to attempt to replace the wiring under the dash. I am not sure how the plastic plugin which goes through the fire wall, is removed out of the hole. I removed the engine side of the plug ( I also replaced the wiring under the hood). Is there a trick?? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
The plug is secured in a rubber grommet. You will probably need a new grommet when you install the new wiring. It's a tight fit.

The plastic plug has to be pushed out of the grommet toward the engine compartment, from under the dash. Then the grommet can be removed from the firewall. Then the grommet can be worked over the plug so the wires can be pulled back through the firewall hole. Reverse to install.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The grommet goes in without the plastic plug in it. This allows the grommet to collapse and go into the hole rather easily. Then put the plug in from the engine side.
Yeah, no kidding. That is how I did it. Then when trying to insert the plastic plug it kept wanting to push the grommet out through the fire wall. I had to incorporate the help of my four year old granddaughter to hold it from one end while I pushed from the other.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
firewall plug

These have all been good advice. I ended up chipping it out with a screw driver. Now comes the labor of installing the grommet and plug ins. So if I understand this, the dash wiring plug is pulled through to the engine compartment then the grommet is installed, then the plug in is pushed back through the grommet towards the firewall??? Or does the dash plug in go through the installed grommet from the dash side???

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
These have all been good advice. I ended up chipping it out with a screw driver. Now comes the labor of installing the grommet and plug ins. So if I understand this, the dash wiring plug is pulled through to the engine compartment then the grommet is installed, then the plug in is pushed back through the grommet towards the firewall??? Or does the dash plug in go through the installed grommet from the dash side???
From the engine compartment side. Put the dash harness plug through the hole, stretch the grommet all the way over the plug, install the grommet in the firewall, then put plug in the grommet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.