Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to mount the fenders back on my 56 150 sedan, so I'm going over the factory assembly manual, and it appears my body guy ground off the rivets and removed the fender to inner fender support.
The support is detailed in section 11, sheet 4.00 of the manual.
They are not in my pile of parts.
I last talked to this guy 3 months ago, and I'm hoping he didn't scrap the supports.
Is it common to remove these during the body work phase?
Can I proceed without them?
Any advise is appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I don't know if it's common place but I picked up fender for my '56 and someone had removed the brace on it as well. I was able to get one from a fellow member here and then I welded it on. Seems to me they should have them or the fender curve may not match the rest of the body lines. :anim_25:

·
Registered
37,796 Posts
I think it's probably good to have those braces. But not the end of the world if not.

You can use a#10-32 button head screw with a nut behind it in place of the rivets. Paint them or use stainless screws.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tom ,I just finished putting my 56's front end on . I have learned after three tries putting it on and taking it apart trying to get good fender and hood gaps that the place to start is with the hood . Start centering the hood ends to cowl vent side to side then your gap on between hood and cowl . Watch your hood doesn't rub cowl in the center when opening . The hood is the hardest to do ' but without the inner fenders on you can make all your adjustments . Next center your core support to the hood , snug up the nuts a little , put the liners on then the fenders .I had to shim the ends of the grill bar to get a good gap between hood and fender by hood bar and eyebrows . Don't forget core support to fender shims for fender to hood gaps . I wish someone would of told me this method weeks ago . E-mail if I can help you any more .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts