Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1956 Corvette engine 0991 production date 156 I want to know more about this motor it has been rebuilt by the owner who had a machine shop he was building a 56 gasser for himself he died and i basically inherited this motor the engine was never started will turn with a rachet it has camel hump heads it is a 265 motor and it shows to be a corvette motor i have the original distribitor cap and rotor has a place to oil on it can anyone help me thanks for the invite what is a tag

·
Registered
15,196 Posts
The eng. block casting code is one of the best ways to I.D. that eng. This cast no. is usually found at the rear of the block on the left or drivers side on top of the bellhousing flange. Also write down and post the eng suffix code which is stamped on the flat machined block surface pad located on the front RH or pass. side of the cyl. head. This suffix code will consist of several numbers and 2 or 3 letters at the end. Hope this helps.:anim_25: :bowtieb:

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
The '56 Corvette block was identical to the Flint passenger car, truck, commercial, marine, industrial and service replacement blocks. The only way you can positively identify an original '56 Corvette block is if the pad stamping on the front-right is original, not milled off, and the original stamped characters end in GV, GU, GR, FK or FG. If it's anything else, or if it was milled off during rebuild, or if it was altered, then it's not a Corvette block. It can be built to be one, but you won't get a Corvette price for it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
56 2X4 motor

I have a '56 265 motor with the following block with PP heads with the following numbers on the stamping: 04333I9f56GS pad. Your thoughts.
Thanks (169chevy)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts