Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my new project today and was going over the VIN numbers.
VIN # VB56N006076
According to the info I found, This is a 56 210 with a V-8
Of course it is a 2 door post.
However, the Cowl numbers are as follows:
Style 56-1011D
Body AG 8285
Trim 572
Paint 705D
TOP ACC.

From Info I have found, the D in Style and Paint means Bel Air. Did they make a 210 with Bel Air Trim, or do I have a discrepancy in numbers?
The AG in Body number I believe Means Atlanta
Also the 572 trim number states that this is for a model that is for a wagon.
Did they swap options like that or am I missing something.
Also can't find what option TOP would be..
Thanks for any help, I will keep searching.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
What I found is yes style 1011D is a Belair and your VIN designates a 210. That trim code I could only find in the trim combos for a 2100 series or 210, it shows it as "optional" . Is your car Turquoise and White? The TOP means nothing at least as far as your car is concerned. Yes Ag is Atlanta Georgia. Does your car have Belair exterior moldings or 210?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First Thanks,
Second, my car is pretty rough. It doesn't have an interior so I can't tell you the color.
It looks like it had Bel Air trim (the double trim going to front fenders, but no top fender trim.)
So if I understand you, I have a 210, but with some Bel Air "options". Correct?
Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
VIN # VB56N006076
Style 56-1011D
Body AG 8285
Trim 572
Paint 705D
TOP ACC.

From Info I have found, the D in Style and Paint means Bel Air. Did they make a 210 with Bel Air Trim, or do I have a discrepancy in numbers?

Let me help you try to understand the VIN/Cowl Tag numbers:

VIN # VB56N006076 - "VB"-Indicates a 1956 8 cylinder 2100 series or a 210.
"N"-Indicates that your car was Assembled in Norwood, Ohio
"006076"-Indicates it was the 5076th car produced at that assembly plant. (they started with the sequence 1001)
It was built on Wednesday, October 12, 1955.

Cowl Tag-
Style 56-1011D- Indicates a 1956 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan
Body AG 8285 - Indicates the 8285th body made at Atlanta Fisher Body Plant
Trim 572- Indicates Medium Turquoise Imitation Leather
Paint 705D - Indicates Pinecrest Green/India Ivory
TOP ACC. - No significance for top or acc.

I would say there is a definite discrepency between the VIN and Cowl Tag. One or possibly both have been added from another car or donor car when it was restored or rebuilt. I do not see any problem with the 572 Trim in a Bel Air 2 Door Sedan. Most likely it was ordered that way from the factory because the buyer wanted a one color Turquoise instead of the normal two tone Bel Air interior.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me help you try to understand the VIN/Cowl Tag numbers:

VIN # VB56N006076 - "VB"-Indicates a 1956 8 cylinder 2100 series or a 210.
"N"-Indicates that your car was Assembled in Norwood, Ohio
"006076"-Indicates it was the 5076th car produced at that assembly plant. (they started with the sequence 1001)
It was built on Wednesday, October 12, 1955.

Cowl Tag-
Style 56-1011D- Indicates a 1956 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan
Body AG 8285 - Indicates the 8285th body made at Atlanta Fisher Body Plant
Trim 572- Indicates Medium Turquoise Imitation Leather
Paint 705D - Indicates Pinecrest Green/India Ivory
TOP ACC. - No significance for top or acc.

I would say there is a definite discrepency between the VIN and Cowl Tag. One or possibly both have been added from another car or donor car when it was restored or rebuilt. I do not see any problem with the 572 Trim in a Bel Air 2 Door Sedan. Most likely it was ordered that way from the factory because the buyer wanted a one color Turquoise instead of the normal two tone Bel Air interior.
Thanks, I think that this car was a parts car at one time. Maybe it is a bel air but the VIN numbers were changed so that the better car would be a Bel Air.
I don't know. I don't have an engine or interior so I really can't restore to original so I will probably Resto Mod it a little.
Ken

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,737 Posts
Ken....Is the car together enough so that it has trim?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks, I think that this car was a parts car at one time. Maybe it is a bel air but the VIN numbers were changed so that the better car would be a Bel Air.
I don't know. I don't have an engine or interior so I really can't restore to original so I will probably Resto Mod it a little.
Ken
I wouldn't say it's a big deal. It's a 1956 2 Door Sedan and you can pretty much make it a Bel Air, 210, or even a 150 if you choose. A light Resto Mod sounds like a great plan.

Just make sure the VIN on the door matches the VIN on the title, otherwise you may have some problems when you register and license it.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
VIN # VB56N006076
Style 56-1011D
Body AG 8285
Trim 572
Paint 705D
TOP ACC.

I am awaiting hearing how the tags are attached. The cowl tag was installed with large hollow cup type rivets, the VIN tag was spot welded to the A pillar.

A lot more vin tags have been switched than cowl tags, Most people arn't to concerend with what the cowl tag says. I would suspect that some PO had a rougher car with a title and that vin tag went on your belair that didn't have a title, but we will wait for your update.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The VIN tag is not attached. The Cowl Tag is in place and looks original. I think that this car was a parts car at one point and that the Vin tags may have been switched so that the restored car was a Bel Air. I am going to try to get to the Vin number on the Frame and see what it says. I am in Alabama and they don't title the cars before 1975. I just need a bill of sale. If the Car is actually a Bel Air that would be great but I can't restore it to original because it is not complete.
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts