Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

56 Exhaust Manifolds

5K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  emccomas 
#1 ·
Are the 56 exhaust manifolds date coded? If they are, what would the approximate date for a car assembled mid-May 57? TIA.

#3 ·
I believe the rams horns didn't make regular production until 1957. 55/56 were the log type with the possible exception of the '56 240 horse 265. My questions is "if they are date coded what would be the approximate date (the exhaust manifold) on a mid-May assembled Corvette?"

#10 · (Edited)
First design engine or second design engine? I don't know about first design. Won't speculate. If it is second design, they will likely have no date code. The first date coded second design manifolds started in April so there is a slight chance it had an April date code. However, the date codes are on the inboard side and unreadable when the engine is assembled.

#11 ·
56 rams were bringing 1k some years ago. not easily found.

#12 ·
I see this thread is in the Corvette forum....Were the Corvette and passenger cars the same casting numbers?

#17 ·
Okay....We're good buddy :shakehands:

#18 ·
The reproductions are date coded too. So don't get tied up with date codes here. If you're concerned about originality, concentrate on using the original castings, because you can spot the reproductions a mile off, yet you can't see the date codes on reproductions or originals.

#19 · (Edited)
OK, so this thread is almost a year old

Here is the situation on 1956 Corvette exhaust manifolds.

They are NOT the same as passenger car manifolds (except for the 2x4 car manifolds).

1956 Corvettes used two different types of exhaust manifolds:

1st design 1956 Corvette engine used what is called a two bolt ram horn manifold (pictures attached. They are very rare, and very expensive. The set in this picture were sold for $2K. Casting number is 3725633, and left and right are the same.

2nd design 1956 Corvette engine (and 2x4 passenger car engines) used a 3 bolt ram horn set of manifolds. They are one year only manifolds. The pipe mounting flange is flat. Left manifold is 3731557, right is 3731558. These are also rare and expensive manifolds. They look a lot like the 1957 and later manifolds except for the flat pipe mounting flange.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.