Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months ago I decided to replace my worn starter and worn out 1 wire alternator. I wanted to go to a 3 wire alternator as I have had great luck with them and not good luck at all with 1 wire.
So I got all that done and was headed out to a car show in the Ozarks and a mile out of town the car quit. Buddy's that were convoying with me said lets try and fix it on the side of the road. It was raining hard and temps in high 30's. So car got rollbacked home and I jumped in daily driver and went to the Ozarks anyways.
When I returned home a few days later I pulled the distributor and saw the points were pretty fried. Figured a great time to put Pertronix in. Did that and it fired, but then quit when I tried to drive it. Disconnected tach and it ran. But the gremlins were not done. As I went over the wiring of the car I decided to pull the ignition switch. I got under the dash to check that wiring. Then I saw the culprit. The green and red tach wires had got into the clutch pedal linkage. There was no zip ties holding anything. Now I can see all the problems I had. I even called Pertronix and went thru all the troubleshooting tips they had. I had left the firewall resistor intact and was basically using it as a junction for some wires. I removed it and the resistor was broken. Put a new resistor on and cars runs great again. Drove it quite a bit this weekend. Weather has been soooo rainy here that I have not had much of a chance to get the car out.
I have found quite a few house type wire nuts under the dash:confused0006: I will never understand why people do stuff like that. That is all corrected as well as some nasty wiring at the firewall resistor. I bought the car with intent to take it to the next level. Getting there one section at a time. Taking all my skills to do it as well. But I love it!!!!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Allan. One end is 12 volts. The other end is reduced. Things get changed so it can either be the top or bottom that has 12 volts. But you need the 12 side to go to wiper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.