Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the info stated here on hoods, I didn't see anything related to my problem unless I missed one. The problem I have is when the hood is lifted the trailing corner wants to rub the top of fender. Already did some chipping. The clearance is so close I have to place a plastic Bondo spreader between fender and hood to eliminate any damage. The passenger side is the worse. The driver's side just barely clears. I have new hinges and springs and the gapping is fair at front and sides. Rear of hood side to side sets a little high toward vent screen. When the hood is down and locked the rear corners have a good fit. Teeth on gears are a good fit to what is visible. I lubed all the points contrary to what others have said about NO OILING. I'm hoping someone can share their experience to remedy this. Thank you.
This is not the correct photo. The site wouldn't let me delete it. States I don't have permission to perform this action. Why Couldn't I work around it ??

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
54,216 Posts
PM sent to help with photo posting...Here's an article that I put together on hood adjustments attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
*The back of the hood can be lowered some by adding shims between the hinge and the firewall on the top mounting bolts
*The back of the hood can be raised some by placing spacers between the hinge and the firewall on the bottom mounting.
This is backwards. It should read:

*The back of the hood can be lowered some by adding shims between the hinge and the firewall on the bottom mounting bolts
*The back of the hood can be raised some by placing spacers between the hinge and the firewall on the top mounting bolts.

Everything else in the article it correct. You can also lower the back of the hood by placing shims between the hood and hinge in the forward bolt position. Whichever method you choose the idea is to rotate the top of the hinge back to lower the hood.

·
Registered
903 Posts
i'm having the same problem on my 1955 but i have aftermarket hinges. i'm trying to find out the gap between the cowl and the fender. it could be you have the fenders in to far, if you gap more you might get more clearance. i'm gapped at 1/8 at the cowl and it seemed to have gotten better.

·
54,216 Posts
This is backwards. It should read:

*The back of the hood can be lowered some by adding shims between the hinge and the firewall on the bottom mounting bolts
*The back of the hood can be raised some by placing spacers between the hinge and the firewall on the top mounting bolts.

Everything else in the article it correct. You can also lower the back of the hood by placing shims between the hood and hinge in the forward bolt position. Whichever method you choose the idea is to rotate the top of the hinge back to lower the hood.
Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to the article

I will get those changes made

·
54,216 Posts
Posting pics for Paul

Car Grille Automotive lighting Hood Azure
Water Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Blue
Blue Azure Rectangle Paint Gas
Blue Azure Hood Motor vehicle Paint

1 - 6 of 6 Posts