Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am resto-mod building a 56 Nomad. My plan is to use a left side taillamp in the right side also, for battery cut off and charging posts. I have a new set of Gene Smith taillamp but need a second left side, would need to be a new Gene Smith reproduction to match. I have a new rt side to trade or sell. Any help is appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
First thing

You need to do is check the fit of the driver side assembly to both sides of you car you may find that you don't like the results (possible big gaps). I found out after my car had been painted and bought new Gene Smith replacements. I've heard Danchuk's are a better fit, but don't have them myself.

After thinking about it overnight also check the tension on the release lever . Mine was so tight I couldn't turn it . Might not hurt to have anyone else that might have to put gas in the car to attempt to turn it. Hard to do once installed.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
X2 I sold gene smith and bought danchuck . Danchuck fit way better smith were out 1/4 “ all around

·
Premium Member
13,142 Posts
Did you do the necessary body mods before paint to be able to put the 56 left light on the right side?

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
I'v e never done that, but I was told by a fella who had done it (put left side tail light assemblies on both sides), that they were identical shape...? Was he wrong? or maybe misleading me? He had a second left hand side on the right side and he his the electrical cutoff and some additional switches in a panel on the RHS (under the opening tail light)... I thought it was a neat trick especially if they are identically shaped.. ?

·
Premium Member
7,455 Posts
The original shapes

might be identical but I think the problem is the Gene Smith driver side Frame assembly it self. I don't remember the exact difference but the driver side is shorter than the passenger side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts