Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

441 - 460 of 495 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Thank God no one was hurt ...it could have been much worse. Just a reminder too , when working we all should have things on hand in case of fire . Fire blanket , extinguisher ...phone . Well you all have mastered the project along with the setbacks , a big congrats on all the progress. :tu

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Quick update...

The halogen halo headlights have been swapped out for the new Hella LED units from VintageCar. They look pretty sweet and are super-bright. Able to sear the retinas out of a frog at 500 yards.

We didn't try to move the car under it's own power (controlled that is) as both the timing needs to be re-set properly (I don't own a timing light) and the idle speed needs to be adjusted, especially when the choke is on. Without verifying the brake function, neither one of us wanted to shift the car into gear with the RPM's too high...especially after last week's episode!

About that. When we initially fit the shifter linkage from the trans to the column, the shift arm on the trans was pointing upwards. It's supposed to be pointed down. So when we were pulling the lever all the way forward, and into "Park", we were actually placing the transmission into L-1!! Nobody had moved it, it was exactly how I left it. I know now (hindsight always being 20/20) that there's a much longer stroke on the lever between P and R than there is between L-1 and L-2. I don't think I'll ever forget that fact.

Gary will be over today (he just called) to adjust things and get the engine running smoothly. Once he's got that done, we'll try moving Snobad again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,326 Posts
Please post a part number and link to those headlights. Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,326 Posts
I just checked out the site. did you go with the std economy lens, the classic lens, or the german hella lens. Thanks John

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
I just checked out the site. did you go with the std economy lens, the classic lens, or the german hella lens. Thanks John
John, those are the Hella lens. Went with them because I prefer the way they direct the light beam, especially on high beam.

·
Premium Member
13,326 Posts
John, those are the Hella lens. Went with them because I prefer the way they direct the light beam, especially on high beam.
I was wondering about that, can you explain the difference in the way they work?? I am seriously thinking about these for my 56.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
A Fantastic Milestone! Beautiful and sounds great too... :)

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,029 Posts
I know that feeling.......one of the best moments of any long term project! I hope my Special Sport Utility 1955 wagon doesn't take as long as my 55 convertible did.....LOL

Mikey

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
The nervousness of the first few feet - will the trans engage all gears, how will the brakes feel, will the oil pressure stay constant, will it begin to overheat, what's that squeak...? Exciting time. You've already chased some of the bugs out - maybe a couple of more to address, then around the block, around town - very happy for you both.
JR

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #453
The nervousness of the first few feet - will the trans engage all gears, how will the brakes feel, will the oil pressure stay constant, will it begin to overheat, what's that squeak...? Exciting time. You've already chased some of the bugs out - maybe a couple of more to address, then around the block, around town - very happy for you both.
JR
Nailed it in one JR. Few weeks away from the first drive around the block as we're waiting for the bumpers but when we get there it will be a huge milestone.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,029 Posts
How did that steering wheel "fell" in your hands for the first time under power....?

Mikey

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Thanks, everyone! This is indeed a very exciting time. We had yet to confirm just how much in the way of brakes there were, which is why the roll out was being done so slowly. The pedal "feel" with the hydro-boost is very minimal, and after last week's mishaps we didn't want to take any chances. But those brakes do grab! There was a slight exhaust leak on one of the headers, which you may have heard ticking on the video, so I've re-torqued the bolts.

Tomorrow afternoon the ramp truck will be here to take the Nomad back to the painter for some touch up work. The plating shop has told us the bumpers will be done next week, so that works out perfectly. Arlen has decided to paint the backs of the bumpers "a'la Mikey", and Dave H. has already been briefed on what he's do. Yes, Mikey, we do appreciate all your advice! That steering wheel feels great, by the way. Man, does everyone like it!!

Once we've got the wagon back from the painter's and the bumpers bolted on, we'll have a wheel alignment done and be ready to start road testing. Hopefully the insurance company will have the registration sorted out before then. It seems that the computer doesn't like it when a vehicle has been off the road for so long. Some time during those 23 years, all motor vehicles in our province had an extra digit added to their registration numbers. Without the Nomad being continually licenced, it missed out on the change. The insurance agents are trying to figure where to place the extra number so the computer is happy, and they can issue Arlen some plates.

·
Premium Member
13,326 Posts
would you happen to have any pics of the headlights going into the buckets, such as mods needed etc?? thanks

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
would you happen to have any pics of the headlights going into the buckets, such as mods needed etc?? thanks
There were no modifications necessary, so I didn't bother taking any pictures. That being said, it was pretty tight in there to squeeze the extra ceramic connectors and the additional wire. Dave

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
You got an exhaust leak :sign0020: Congrats on driving progress. Baby steps, baby steps :tu

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Mighty Fine

Some quality work going on there. Fantastic!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Time for a brief update. The Nomad came back from the painter's a couple of weeks ago. Although I've been staring at it every day, I've been too tied up with several other projects to focus my attention on it. The other projects are almost completed, and on Saturday we were able to work on Snobad for the first time in over a month. The front bumper is now mounted, and that pesky tail pan seal is in, but we ran out of time to hang the rear bumper. We'll get pictures posted after that happens. For now, we wanted to show you the back of the bumpers. Back from the plating shop, the front sides are gorgeous, but the backs; not too pretty. Taking some advice from Mikey (55wagoncrazy), Arlen had Dave H. prep and paint them with Dawn Gray body color. Probably 99% of the people will never even notice it, but it really cleans them up!

Attachments

441 - 460 of 495 Posts