Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

461 - 480 of 495 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Nice . Good luck with final few things to complete a great build.
Please explain the method used to secure Tail Pan Seal.
Dave

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Nice . Good luck with final few things to complete a great build.
Please explain the method used to secure Tail Pan Seal.
Dave
I used a pair of side cutting pliers that have the corners rounded and the blades dulled. To protect the paint on the forward edge of the channel, I slipped a thin strip of plastic between the pliers and the painted surface. Once the lip of the rubber seal was tucked down in the recess, I gently squeezed the top of the channel. That was done every 4 inches or so.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,031 Posts
It is just a hard thing to bring yourself to do after all the paint work that is done. I usually glue the rubber to the channel with 3M Black weather strip adhesive. Then I take a Vise Grip pliers and use a small section of aluminum wrapped in layers of tape on the forward underside. Then I adjust the Vise Grip so it just rolls the top edge of the metal channel enough to grip it. If your preparation was good on the painting, it will minimize the paint breakage. I usually go every 6-8 inches. Cleaning the rubber and the channel is also critical for the glue to stick.

Back sides of the bumper look nice Dave. I'm not a fan of the smoothy look for all the reasons you see on the back side....but to each their own.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
13,330 Posts
I would love to see a pic from the drivers seat at night with the led headlights on. thinking about buying a set but would like to see before I buy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #465
"Back sides of the bumper look nice Dave. I'm not a fan of the smoothy look for all the reasons you see on the back side....but to each their own."

Fair enough Mikey, I figure it's better, at least on a modified car, to have the outside of the bumper smooth and the lumps and bumps inside rather than the other way round. As Dave noted, 99% of the people looking at the car won't notice but I think that 1% that do will appreciate the extra effort we put into those bumpers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
I would love to see a pic from the drivers seat at night with the led headlights on. thinking about buying a set but would like to see before I buy.
Hoping to road test the car within the next couple of weeks, we'll see what we can come up with for you.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
It is just a hard thing to bring yourself to do after all the paint work that is done... If your preparation was good on the painting, it will minimize the paint breakage.
I just couldn't do it - I know it eliminates dust intrusion up between the bumper and tailpan...but I'm leaving it off of mine...
JR

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
You guys must be really really close to completion. 🤔
Yes, we are! Both the bumpers and all the hood trim have now been installed. So have the windshield wipers and license plate. The only parts still left to go on are the sill plates, which won't be installed until Snobad is ready to leave and go home with Arlen. We'll be doing a short road test today, and heading for a gas station to top it up. We have an appointment to get the wheel alignment done on Monday morning. Afterwards, we'll stretch her legs a bit further!!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Project Snobad has hit the streets!! First stop was the gas station, and instantly there was a small crowd around it. A young guy carrying a skateboard declared that it was "Gangster as f***!" Not sure if that was the exact look Arlen was going for, but I'm pretty certain it was a compliment. Plus thumbs up from lots of onlookers. Of course, this being Victoria, BC in mid-July, it had to rain, but just look at that grin on Daddy's face!
20200711_105446.jpg
20200711_105536.jpg
20200711_105947.jpg
20200711_132844.jpg

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
:) Super looking!~ and COOL AS ^^^^... :) Just consider that rain as an 'early leak test'.. :)

·
9,031 Posts
A loooooooooooong awaited short drive.......followed by a clean water rinse! Love it!!!(y)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
In my opinion your Nomad is the top Nomad in the world. The planning , detail , choices and craftsmanship is impeccable . A big congrats . Thanks for all the posts and pics along the journey.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Thank you all for the kind words! With the wheel alignment and chassis lube done, Bob (the mechanic) gave the Nomad a complete going over. He made note of a few items that may have led to issues down the road. Nothing major, but we'll make those adjustments he recommended. That extra set of trained eyes never hurts. Overall, Bob was very impressed with what he saw. In fact, he told us he took each of his employees, one by one, and pointed out all the little details that he'd noticed we'd done. It was a proud moment for Arlen and I. We took Snobad out again on Friday, and after setting the speedometer, we went for a cruise. The first stop was over to Arlen's house. His wife, Chris, had not seen the car since it left there over two years ago, and had told him she didn't want to see it until it was finished. As we rolled up to the house, Chris was out in the front yard. The look on her face said it all: That's the same car?! After giving her the grand tour of all the new features, we headed back out on the highway. We put on just over 50 miles, and I must say Snobad is a pleasure to drive in. There's a great exhaust note, but she's quiet enough for normal conversation. Drives, steers and rides nicely. The suspension is definitely stiff, but not uncomfortable at all. Seats are comfy, as they'd darned well better be! I was especially pleased that there are virtually no annoying rattles or squeaks. Arlen is indeed one very happy camper, and so am I! We spent most of Saturday under the car making adjustments where Bob had noted. There's a couple more things we need to do, and we can see there's also a bit of fluid here and there. Not sure if it's residue from earlier problems, but we'll deal with them.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Congratulations guys (Davlin and Arlen) for a beautiful car and a fantastic build... Certainly Among the best that one would see if they want to see an 'original appearing' Nomad but with neat and subtle modifications! :)

and... THANKS for including us in your build by showing us your work and approaches.. :)

·
9,031 Posts
I will echo what Dave said. After hearing about how Arlen and Chris met....I can only imagine the expression on her face. Glad you guys are able to button Snobad up and do some much awaited shakedown cruising. Until the rubber is on the road and all systems are operating do you know if all your efforts are done.

I am sure that smile on Arlen's face is just becoming permanent the more he drives around. That's what it is all about.

Mikey

Reactions: Niner Nomad
461 - 480 of 495 Posts