Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got looking at the new rubber piece that screws to the roof that the door window seals against, and I don't understand how it can work. It looks like the window has to be rolled down about 1/2 inch, shut the door and than roll uo the window. Does that sound right? The reason I say that is that the rubber has a groove that the window fits in, but I don't see how the door can close if the window is up as the window will hit the outside edge of the rubber molding.

·
12,256 Posts
I'm not sure but I don't think the window fits in the groove. I think the thin piece seals against the inside of the window frame. I don't know how the repops compare to the originals, but it would be nice to know. I bought a pair from Mr. Nomad and they are Danchuk parts. If they changed the design, I'd like to know why.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rechecked and it appears the orginial rubber is a little different than the one I just got, and it is made by danchuck also. I'm not sure how well its going to work because its seems very hard and stiff to me. Its going to be hard to get it to seal the full length of the window and not leak air. I wish it was more of a foam rubber like cars have nowdays.
Another thing, they sent new screws to screw the molding to the roof but there are no holes in the rubber. Itw going to be hard to make a hole in the rubber and keep it tight to the window. This stuff is so stiff, I don't think the window will compress it or move it. It could break the glass or break the track mechinism if its too tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
The chrome frame of the window fits against the inside rubber strip and the outside rubber strip rides on the top outside of the chrome frame. There is no way the window frame can fit between the two as the space between the two rubber strips is only about 3/8" and the window frame is about 9/16" inches wide. The real challenge is to get your window frame adjusted so that it does fit up close to the outside rubber ridge all the way around. Mine doesn't but it still seals against the inner one well. Good Luck!!!

The picture of your piece looks exactly like the one I installed about 5 years ago and it works well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts