Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced a set of rear leaf springs on my '56 BelAire. I order them from Ecklers - Which by the way they offer four different options .

1. 4 leaf -original height
2. 5 leaf - 2" drop
3. 5 leaf - 3/4" set back
4. 5 leaf - original height

After reading other members recommendations - I opted for #4 - WOW - did I ever have the problems. The car height was so high I needed a ladder to get into the trunk (tic ) the drive shaft rubbed against the hand brake frame levers. Contacted a couple other spring vendors for some info - the one vendor thought that the first set of springs might have been for a '57 , which he said had a slightly higher arch - I returned them - installed the 5 leaf 2" drop - after all these years and having the rear end higher - it will take some time getting used to the drop - which I measured ( level ground ) to the bottom of the wheel opening at 23" - I'll drive it awhile to see if I like it - I'd prefer just a little higher .

Just thought I'd pass this little bit of info on - it might help some other member in the future.

Rayzor

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I just installed 5 leaf springs on my 56. I also replaced the shackles back to the original type. Mine was a bit higher than it was before but only by 2" or so..I didnt expirence the problems you did but it did give the car a more aggresive stance..

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I just measured from the bottom of the wheel opening on my chevy and got 25" but that is with the 5 leaf, springs, "option 4.".. It is higher than it was but I think I like it..

·
Registered
130 Posts
For those considering lower, I used Ecklers option #2 (2" drop), and added 1.5 lowering blocks. I just measured mine in the garage at 21" at the top of the wheel arch. My avatar is that stance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts