Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to plan the restoration of my 1956, 210 / 4dr / 3 spd manual gearbox. Currently it has original 'straight 6', but would prefer to fit a V8 (350 sml block) with auto box. Would the 350 V8 fit or would engine mounting / body modifications be required?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I can't answer with any real authority because I put my original 265/powerglide back in where it came from. However, the Gen 1 350ci small block Chevy engine is dimensionally identical to the original 265 that was available in '56 so it will fit right in there but you will need to purchase or fabricate some motor mount adapters for the 350 because it's mounts are on the side where the original engine was just off the front.

Additionally, the original trans mounted at the bell housing area on both sides so there were 4 attachment points total. The 350 sbc and later automatics are set up for a 3 point system that uses a cross member to support the rear of the transmission at the tail shaft.

The cross member and motor mounts are available from several vendors. I trust that some forum members will be along shortly who have done this very swap and can give you some pointers. If you are thinking of installing an LS engine, that is a whole different story that requires a bit more preparation....but it's not impossible. :)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Jack,

I did the same thing on my '55 210 4 door and drove it daily for years. I used the stock v-8 front mount kit (it uses the other two holes in the front cross member) and a side mount kit for the turbo 350 (later a 200 4r with the same kit) and it was fine. I out about 20k miles on it and got over 20mpg with the 200 4r. The kits that I used were from Danchuk for a small block / turbo 350.

My car was a p/g so it had 3.55 rear gears which worked good with both trannies. If your car was a stick, I think it has 4.11 gears - you might check. That might be a bit much for a t-350, might just start with a 200 4r from the start. Nice thing about the 200 4r is that it is the same length as a t-350 and you can use the stock drive shaft.

You will have to make a new exhaust system unless you have a muffler shop build a Y pipe to join into the stock exhaust (but WHY do that????).

I used, and still use, the stock 6-cyl style radiator with the built in trans cooler. You can get a replacement for yours with the cooler or use an external cooler with your stock rad.

Other than removing the clutch pedal ( pull the assembly and remove the pedal or sell/trade the assembly with someone who wants to convert to a stick) and figuring out a shifter (floor - so you don't have to change the column) that should be about it.

Good luck, and have fun!

Later,

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
If you want to run an HEI ignition, buy the side motor mount kit that moves the engine forward 7/8 in. Also get a crossmember kit

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
It will bolt in usingstock parts

There are several threads on this subject. I posted pictures of what is needed on one of them. If your retaining the original three speed moving the engine forward with a sidemount kit will cause problems with clutch andshifter linkage. If you want electronic ignition smaller diameter dizzys are available. a 350 can be a bolt in swap using stock parts. Randall:tu

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm in the process of rebuilding the 327 that was originally in my T-Bucket when i bought it. The GM 350 crate engine it's currently running will go in my '56 to replace the 6 banger. I used the bolt-on parts from the 327 on the 350. Now i'm having to replace all those parts. Carb linkage, bolts, brackets,...etc. It starts to add up pretty quickly. If i ever do a 6 to V-8 swap again i'll buy a complete (and i mean COMPLETE) engine/tranny combo.

·
Registered
922 Posts
If you are going to use the front mounts you will need to move the mounts to the back holes on the frame where the front mounts are located due to the shorter V-8 engine. If the block doesn't have holes for the front mounts you can drill and tap it and then bolt the mounts right on as was said earlier. The radiator will be fine but mounts in front of the support for the 6 cyl. and behind it for the V-8. You should be fine leaving it in the 6 cyl. position. I have 2 cars set up this way with no cooling problems. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.