Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 56 Nomad. The car originally had a 265. Right now it has a 327 and turbo 350 which I'm pulling out to put a 265 back in. However I want to make sure I put the right transmission in it. Right now it does have the turbo 350, automatic column, and automatic speedo, however it definately is possible somebody changed this at one time. Is there anyway to tell for sure what it originally came with ? 3 spd or Powerglide ?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You could look on the frame for the bkt. with the ball used to mount the clutch Z-bar. If it was a standard shift car it most likely would still be there or remants of the weld marks if it were removed.

Don

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts
You could look on the frame for the bkt. with the ball used to mount the clutch Z-bar. If it was a standard shift car it most likely would still be there or remants of the weld marks if it were removed.Don

·
52,788 Posts
Thanks David, I don't know how to add these diagrams to my posts....Don
Your welcome Don....If you want to know how, send me a PM and I'll go through it with you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The story I got the car was that at one time it was drag raced alot. So it probably went through many motors and trans. These are on the drivers side. Neither has nice welds, but maybe thats what they are supposed to look like ? The rear one appears to have something that broke off on the top. So what do you think ? Originally a manual ?

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a difficult spot to get to with the headers that are currently on the car, but if you'd like more pictures or of certain areas let me know.

·
Premium Member
16,157 Posts
The story I got the car was that at one time it was drag raced alot. So it probably went through many motors and trans. These are on the drivers side. Neither has nice welds, but maybe thats what they are supposed to look like ? The rear one appears to have something that broke off on the top. So what do you think ? Originally a manual ?
That is not a factory bracket. Also if you look you can see part of another bracket under that one. That part looks like the base of the bracket that would have the P/G linkage pivot on it. I can get pics of the correct STD bracket and a correct P/G bracket on Friday and post them here if you don't find anything sooner.

-Bruce

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can anyone post actual pictures of a 3 speed car frame in the areas where those brackets are at so I can see what they look like for sure ?

·
52,788 Posts
Can anyone post actual pictures of a 3 speed car frame in the areas where those brackets are at so I can see what they look like for sure ?
Fwd bracket is for the clutch Z bar....The aft bracket is for mounting the transmission linkage bellcrank.

·
Registered
68 Posts
ifferent bracket options

Got my curiosity up now. Were there two different style aft brackets made? I've seen the straight style bracket as shown in the picture and also a bracket that looked like an upside down V on some cars. Is there one that 's more correct than others or that is used on certain serial numbers/cars? I ran into something similar while restoring my 57 210. It looks like in one of 555657nomad's pictures there is part of that upside down V bracket left???

·
52,788 Posts
Got my curiosity up now. Were there two different style aft brackets made? I've seen the straight style bracket as shown in the picture and also a bracket that looked like an upside down V on some cars. Is there one that 's more correct than others or that is used on certain serial numbers/cars? I ran into something similar while restoring my 57 210. It looks like in one of 555657nomad's pictures there is part of that upside down V bracket left???
55/56 are the same.....57 is a lttle different....See view B in the following link:http://www.trifive.com/garage/57 Chevy Assembly Manual/2-3.gif

·
Registered
68 Posts
55/56 are the same.....57 is a lttle different....See view B in the following link:

Thanks man! Confirms that I have the correct bracket. Picture 3 of nomads has the remnants left from that v style bracket too.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to make sure I'm seeing this right. On that rear bracket with the shaft and v shaped piece at the end. From the picture it looks like the frame has a recess/indent where that bracket attaches to the frame. Is that correct ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts