Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks...just found this board. Virgin Post!

My son and I were trying to remove the $%#&*:mad: gas tank from my 56 two door wagon. Got the straps off. Got the long filler neck removed. But can't quite pivot it down enough so it gets below the axle.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
175 Posts
David,

I've never owned a wagon, yet! :) But I remember an old timer telling me that getting the gas tanks out of them is a pain in the rear. Is the tank hitting the axle when you pivot it to get it out? Are you removing the tank with the car on the ground? If so maybe putting it up on jack stands may give you more clearance. The stands would go under the frame not the axle, this way the axle can drop down a little and hang further.

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
Hello and welcome to TriFive. Yes the wagon tanks are a pain which is why some have removed the tire well and used a sedan tank. You can do different things to get the tank out, the best is to unbolt the rear springs shackles and let the diff swing down until the tank comes out(properly support the car on stands and use a jack under the diff, or as I have done unbolt the diff at the spring perches and slide the diff forward but that is not the best if you still have the driveshaft installed. Have fun with your wagon and try and post pictures. You don't say where you live, might be some of us close to you to help you out, good day, Henry.

68,758 Posts
hi ya and welcome david! sorry don't know anything about wagons :eek: i'm not going to say anything about the "virgin " thing :eek: i already get into enough tbl :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
GAS Tank REMOVAL

Not much fun but I had to do my delivery and had to remove the rear axle. A lot of work....so while I had the axle out, I change out the leaf springs and everything else to new so I didn't have to do it later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice.
Maybe i should just bolt it back up in there...!

The problem is no fuel -- I replaced the fuel pump, so figured the gas tank was plugged. Now -- I just dont know what to do.

I live in Denver BTW

·
Registered
175 Posts
David,
You'll probably better off dropping the rear and taking the tank out. This you can have it clean or replace it. Inside the tank in the end of the fuel line is the "sock" when a tank start to corrode the dirt and rust can clogged the sock. If you're not getting any fuel and you've replaced the pump a clogged sock is deffinately possible.

·
12,256 Posts
I agree with going ahead and removing the tank to clean or replace it. YOu don't want years of junk in your fuel lines and carb. While you have the axle out you can clean it and paint it too. ;)

Welcome to Trifive...I'm only an hour north of you. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
pain

Yes they are a pain I just dropped the tank in my 55 wagon today and it looks like it is about ready to fall out until you finally have to kick it out!

any advice about coating the tank, looks like a little light rust coating inside. I was surprised the tank acutally had a drain on it!

Orie

·
Registered
404 Posts
dang....now I have some fun to look forward to when I do the same thing to my wagon. Thanks for posting the question, it will totally helped me out! sorry I didnt have anything useful to help you out with...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi , my name is Jose and I own a 57 Chevy Wagon and am in the process of removing the gas tank also (I have a broken bolt where the sending unit screws on to the tank) I was wondering how you got the tank removed ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't have to remove the tank but have to replace the o ring on the filler neck. Is there a trick to unbolting the neck on a 2 door wagon.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Remove the driveshaft, unbolt the shocks, take the spring U bolts loose and slide the diff forward on the springs. (wheels off of course) Be prepared for the front of the diff to swing down. Block it or put a floor jack under the pinion flange. disconnect the fuel line, sender wire, gas filler tube, straps and you should get room enough to get that tank out. You can also take the springs loose at the shackle, but you still have to take off the shocks and possibly the driveshaft....plus the car needs to be a lot higher off the ground.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,838 Posts
12 year old thread compliments of Recommended Reading closed to further replies

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.