Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still trying to remove the pins on my tailgate hinges.
anyone have a clue?
I'm replacing the tailgate and I don't want to destroy the existing hinges in the process as they are not being reproduced.
Thanx:confused:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Hey Chililoy; I ain't had a chance to say hello and welcome to you. Hope to hear more from you. Sorry I can't help you with the hinges as I don't know much about the wagons. I'm sure some of the guys around here have experienced the same problem, so just keep checking I'm sure you'll get the answer.

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Chililoy the 56 wagon i have out back looks to have hinges made like the door hinges. That being said the pin has a splined shoulder on it at the head end, so it should be able to be driven out of the hinge from the tapered end.
Terry

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Thats right Mike it couldn`t hurt. The splines on the shoulder are hard enough to get moving with out the rust factor. And it looks to have some brass bushings also like the door hinges, these can be replaced.
Terry

·
Registered
66 Posts
Drove one out with a hammer & drift pin. The other was broken midway and I had to heat it cherry red and drive it out with a bigger hammer & drift pin. Was really stuck. Good thing paint was not important. This was done on car. Getting the hinge bolts out was another story. Used pin & bushing kit from Danchuk. Assemble everything with anti-seize compound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts