Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I was a glazier many moons ago....very easy to cut down the laminated curved qtr glass......and tempered glass is a different story....you either order it special made.....or you take hours to carefully sand it down with a special glaziers wet sander,making damn sure it never got hot.....or it would shatter

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
So I have a question for you Nomad guys . I got the answer directly from the owner .
” How does one successfully cut down the curved Qtr glass ?
Use duct tape to protect the material at your cut line and sand blast it in two....?

·
Premium Member
11,960 Posts
Given the weathered look and pitting on the chrome, the older looking enamel paint job, the faded water decals on the glass, the old style white walls and the wheels, the essentially original finish stainless, side pipes, lights, if that is not an older custom build, then someone went to a lot of trouble to recreate one. Truth is, looking at the driver, this is an older build. I have a real soft spot for the late 50s early 60s customs, nomad or not, lol.

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,013 Posts
I'm not a fan of that look (especially the tail lights), BUT... that car is obviously a product of the 'wild Custom' sixties car scene... and should be preserved as it is...

·
Registered
826 Posts
It seems to be of high quality work, and done to suit the times. Its a survivor, and the owner/builder is proud of it.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
From those front fenders, looks like he started with a '56 Nomad, but who can say? Definitely not my cup of tea, but then again, it was certainly done a long time ago, and that's what the custom guys were into. Sacrilege? Perhaps. At least it's still on the road.

·
Premium Member
11,960 Posts
It also looks like it is chopped a little.

I parked next to an older man at the first trifive nationals who had a 56 convertable he had purchased new, began customizing like the next day after he purchased it new, and sold in 72 or so. Located it, purchased it back and re did it. Merv Englert. He was fascinating to talk to about the custom scene and it was my good fortune to be parked next to him that year. When Sondles brought in the customs the one year for the Heritage display, I sent him a photo and Merv's name and sure enough he arrivied with the car.

Like all the cars, I enjoy the street freeks, gassers, stockers, restorations, customs, rat rods, the whole thing. It makes the hobby interesting and varied. Otherwise, we will end up like the vette guys, and that is one boring crowd singularily focused on date codes and correctness. Heck with that.

One of my long time friends has an elderly uncle that gave him a 56 nomad. The rust is really all that held the car together, that and about two dozen street signs and license plates, hundreds of pop rivets and self tapping screws. That car is going to be somewhat of a custom, no if ands or buts. And while the end result may not be something I myself might have built, I will still think its cool and interesting.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Believe his son was sitting next to him. Prob driving the chopped sedan with custom tail lights. Sorry no better pic, too many people around them.
I don’t think the Nomad is going any major changes and time soon.
Stretch
Car Vehicle Grille Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
826 Posts
Possibly, but if it is a 56 then there would have to be another location for the gas filler, and the 55 location is the easiest way to go. It also has 56 front fenders.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Not my taste, but I appreciate the work that went in to it. Is it me, or does the taillights look like the baby birds beak open waiting for mom to drop in the worm?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
FYI. There is a slight possibility that I will be able to see said car again in N.E. this weekend. If so , will definitely get better pics and more info.
Thank you for the conversation we have had over the car.
Like it or not . It is truly part of Nomad history.
Stretch

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Like it or not . It is truly part of Nomad history.
Agreed - and thanks for bringing this car to our attention. I'd enjoy seeing more of it - as stated already, it's a piece of Nomad history, just like most of the Nomad El Camino's. I'd also like to hear about its history, if you get a chance to find that out.
JR

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Custom Nomad owner was not at the “Hot Rod Hootenanny“ in Conn. today.
I talked to his son. He says it started out life as a 56’ Nomad.
JR you are correct on curved glass cutting. He made a sheet metal template. Then a guy who engraves headstones cut it with aggregate and water. So 40 years ago, was that early Water Jeat Cutting ?
Stretch

21 - 39 of 39 Posts