Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help,

I have really no idea where to begin with my "rat rod". My 57 has a black epoxy sealer paint on it ( so I was told by the dealer). There is rusted through areas under the car, rocker panels, floors, tops of quarter panels (at back corners of rear window), driver's glass is broken, etc. My goal is not to restore my 57 to show quality, but I do want to make my muscle car mechanically, and cosmetically as good as new, if not better.

I have not confirmed the engine, but I believe it's a 283, and it runs, so I would like to have a driving restoration project.

I am learning the restoration lingo, so if my questions seem lengthy, it is only because I want to make sure I communicate clearly.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Brett

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Welcome Brett. What experience do you have with cars? I started a year ago with almost none, I could change the oil and put gas in the tank, that was about it. Through asking questions I have been able to do things I never thought possible. Ask away, I'm sure someone will be able to help.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Welcome Brett! I've been to Roy WA a few times doing some hunting, nice quite area out there. SR4 was washed out so I was using the back way (hwy6) to Raymond just recently.

Lots of info on this site and the folks are like a big family, plenty of help on doing your repairs.

The 56 I am working on has some of the issues you stated, probably wont get them all fixed but a few of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome Brett. What experience do you have with cars? I started a year ago with almost none, I could change the oil and put gas in the tank, that was about it. Through asking questions I have been able to do things I never thought possible. Ask away, I'm sure someone will be able to help.
I have some experience with brakes, water pumps, alternators, some front end work, etc. Thanks for your response and help.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks Dave, I'm just easing along at a slow pace, went a couple of steps backwards last week :( , I hope to get back on track in a couple weeks, Thanks for signing my guestbook

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great pics Blackie I feel better after looking at all the hard work you have done I purchased a 57 210 2 door wagon that looked just as bad I am still working on the outer skins, the complete floor is in and done. Hope to be driving by this summer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome! I've got a 210 2 dr sedan as well. I'm working on making mine into a black epoxy primer driver.

I'm a firm believer that most anything can be done on these cars given enough time, money, and motivation. (Usually it helps to have all at the same time!)

Keep in mind that a "driving restoration project" is a whole different animal than a non-driving restoration project. Keeping one drivable often means you can't employ the same techniques and procedures as you might normally employ. Unless you define "drivable" very loosely!

When you get a chance, post some pictures! What you've got is what I'm working towards...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts