Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
I just converted my 57 4-door from a 235 with 3 speed to a 350 with a th-350 trans. Is there a conversion for the speedometer cable? Does anyone know what would work for this change over?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,165 Posts
What is the gear ratio of your rear end?

·
52,165 Posts
As far as I know its still stock, I havent dug into the rear end yet.
The rear gear ratio must be known to determine the number of teeth required on the transmission speedometer gear....Originally, a 57 with a 3 speed had 3.55 gears...However, it was original 58 years ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rear gear ratio must be known to determine the number of teeth required on the transmission speedometer gear....Originally, a 57 with a 3 speed had 3.55 gears...However, it was original 58 years ago.
I will have to dig into this further and get more info on the gear ratio.
Thank you for the tips.

·
52,165 Posts
I will have to dig into this further and get more info on the gear ratio. Thank you for the tips.
Easiest way to determine the gear ratio on a non-posi is to get one wheel off the ground and rotate the wheel two revolutions....Count how many revolutions the driveshaft makes....I mark the wheel with chalk and put a zip tie around the driveshaft....See the video below:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.