Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
More progress. I installed an extra set of lower control arms and my C3 spindles and started on modifying the upper control arms for additional caster and shortened them about 1/2 an inch to compensate for the taller spindles. What I did is plugged the old ball joint hole with a slug I cut out with a hole saw. This gave me a reference point so I could determine where to move the ball joint. I ended up moving it back 5/5 inch and in 1/2 inch. I then reshaped the ends of the control arms and the almost look stock. After the modifications at ride height I ended up with 5 deg pos caster, .5 deg neg camber, 7.5 deg kingpin angle and with the suspension fully compressed 1.25 deg neg camber. I have room for up to 3/8 shims so plenty of room for later adjustments with the car back together. Also Today my Dutchman axles came in I need to get some pictures of them. They are very beefy. No way my 283 will ever break them.

Today Chuck Smith notified me that my 2X4 WCFB 270 hp carbs have been shipped and I should have them about the middle of next week. Now I am really chomping at the bit to get the frame painted and assembled so I can build the engine and get it fired up. Some pictures of my progress and also of the carbs that Chuck Smith sent m. I also scored a set of caster/camber alignment turntables so when the car is done I can do my own alignments.

modified vs stock installed
Grey Metal Motorcycle accessories Steel Silver Bicycle part Steel Metal Iron Machine Carnivore Cat Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Number Technology Machine Toy Automotive engine part Cylinder Technology Machine Space Silver Toy

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
More progress, been working on frame to prep for paint. As many may remember it took three tries to find a useable frame. I striped this one down and sandblasted it when I bought it about 8 years ago and mounted my body on it to build it. I had suspension installed so the car could be resting on the suspension points as I installed body parts etc. The frame has some pitting due to rust but overall is solid so I started by using a knotted wire brush to remove the slight surface rust that had developed then decided to reweld all of the seams and joints. It is amazing when you look at the quality of the factory welds that these old frames stay together. Welds were full of slag and porosity. I ground them back and rewelded them. I also had to cut out the bottom of the front crossmember to straighten it out. It was caved in about 3/4 an inch. Today I should be able to finish up the welding and clean the frame and get it in epoxy primer. I decided that after all of the work on it to spray a few coats of high build primer to fill the pits.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Today I finished up the welding on the frame and sprayed two coats of SPI black epoxy. Tomorrow I will spray a few coats of 2K high build and block it down to fill pits. If all goes well Friday it will get sprayed with the final black epoxy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Today I finished assembling all of the suspension and the rear end onto the frame. It is ready for the engine and transmission to be installed. I dug all of the engine parts out of storage and started cleaning all of the parts. All are new or re machined but they have been in storage for about ten years so they have been exposed to some dust etc. Here is a picture of the frame. I will post the engine build in the Performance engine building forum.Started build on my 283 270 hp engine.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
More progress, Engine is assembled and installed back in the frame. I installed a temp exhaust to start the engine and break in the cam. I did not want to take a chance on discoloring my white ceramic coated headers. I thought I had an extra radiator support but cannot find it so I will have to fab something up just to get it running and tune it after breaking in the cam. Once I get it running I plan on putting the body on the rotisserie and finish grinding welds on the underside and get the floor painted with red epoxy and also paint the firewall body color. At that I will drop the body back onto the frame and get the car moving under its own power so I can easily move it around. Some pics of the engine setting in the frame.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,426 Posts
Looks super Tom. Really love the rare 9 fin valve covers!

Mikey

Reactions: ETriggs

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Looks super Tom. Really love the rare 9 fin valve covers!

Mikey
Thanks guys. It is finally coming together. I found the valve covers on fleaby, the price was right. They had small holes drilled in the outsides of them probably for wire looms but otherwise were in good shape. I glass bead blasted them and tig welded the holes shut and dressed them down. Sent them over to a Vette resto shop and had them and the intake ceramic media tumble polished. they look just like new. I have wanted a set for years.

Looks like all your hard work is paying off. Looks fantastic.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Today I finished up the welding on the frame and sprayed two coats of SPI black epoxy. Tomorrow I will spray a few coats of 2K high build and block it down to fill pits. If all goes well Friday it will get sprayed with the final black epoxy. View attachment 332458 View attachment 332459
Beautiful job on the frame. Show car quality. Nice work.
More progress, Engine is assembled and installed back in the frame. I installed a temp exhaust to start the engine and break in the cam. I did not want to take a chance on discoloring my white ceramic coated headers. I thought I had an extra radiator support but cannot find it so I will have to fab something up just to get it running and tune it after breaking in the cam. Once I get it running I plan on putting the body on the rotisserie and finish grinding welds on the underside and get the floor painted with red epoxy and also paint the firewall body color. At that I will drop the body back onto the frame and get the car moving under its own power so I can easily move it around. Some pics of the engine setting in the frame.

View attachment 335566 View attachment 335567 View attachment 335568
Now that is CLEAN! Looks like a museum piece. Is this going to be a driver Tom?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Beautiful job on the frame. Show car quality. Nice work.

Now that is CLEAN! Looks like a museum piece. Is this going to be a driver Tom?
Wayne, thanks for the positive comments. Yes this will be a driver. I will not drive in bad weather if I can help it but if I get caught in the rain no problem. It will have working wipers & washers. I am very happy with how it is turning out. The frame is my third one trying to get one that was not rusted out. This one cleaned up nice and solid but was pitted. Many hours of priming and sanding to get it in the condition seen in the pictures. I have been really relying on my how to restore your 57 Chevy and also the Chevrolet '57 Restorers Technical Guide to try to get things looking correct. I am doing a high school hot rod restoration with a few modern updates on it. I hope to get the engine started and the cam broken it this weekend. Once the cam is broken it and everything tuned in I plan on installing the white ceramic coated NOS Doug's old school under chassis headers installed. You know how it is, I just have to fire it up with the headers uncorked. Guess I haven't grown up yet.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wayne, thanks for the positive comments. Yes this will be a driver. I will not drive in bad weather if I can help it but if I get caught in the rain no problem. It will have working wipers & washers. I am very happy with how it is turning out. The frame is my third one trying to get one that was not rusted out. This one cleaned up nice and solid but was pitted. Many hours of priming and sanding to get it in the condition seen in the pictures. I have been really relying on my how to restore your 57 Chevy and also the Chevrolet '57 Restorers Technical Guide to try to get things looking correct. I am doing a high school hot rod restoration with a few modern updates on it. I hope to get the engine started and the cam broken it this weekend. Once the cam is broken it and everything tuned in I plan on installing the white ceramic coated NOS Doug's old school under chassis headers installed. You know how it is, I just have to fire it up with the headers uncorked. Guess I haven't grown up yet.
"High School hot rod". I'm using same approach. Drove a Flathead Ford back then, and dreamed of a Tri-Five, 283, 4 bbl. Had the opportunity to cruise Woodward in Detroit. Saw a set of Torque Thrusts, headers, aluminum intakes, for the first time. Have all that on my car. Dream come true after 50 years. Work hard, be patient. Good things happen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Following along, great job. You mentioned "working wipers and washers". What are your plans for the washer system, original jar system, or newer electric pump and bottle?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Following along, great job. You mentioned "working wipers and washers". What are your plans for the washer system, original jar system, or newer electric pump and bottle?
Thanks, will be using the original jar system and wiper motor.

Looks awesome, did you modify the heads to fit the valve covers?
Thanks, I was going to but decided to use a set of adaptors I got from Jegs. Took a couple of tries with different gaskets to get them to seal up.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts