Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a bone-stock 57 with a 283/2bbl/P-G right now and the engine is getting pretty tired. I have a 57 283 powerpack long block getting rebuilt right now to eventually replace it. My original plan was to source a 4bbl carb/intake/air cleaner and go with dual exhausts to complete the PP setup, but I'm also considering a Sniper 2GC EFI unit instead. With the PP heads and dual exhaust, I am thinking the performance would be pretty similar and it would probably make for a much nicer driving car overall (albeit a little more expensive). Just curious what other's thoughts are and if anyone has done something similar. I am also curious if there is a ported vacuum source on the Sniper unit for the distributor vac advance (not interested in going electronic there). Thanks!

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
oh I think you must run one of their distributors along with the 2GC fuel injection unit. I been looking at those too. If you're dead set against an electronic distributor, stick with a carb.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
This video popped up the other day while perusing YouTube. Whether you like this guy or not, it's a point to consider.

He deliberately doesn't name the name of the FI system that failed to correctly calibrate in the critical first few minutes of engine break in. So, no - we don't know the name of the system, or if it was installed correctly.

OTOH, if I've correctly rebuilt a carburetor, I know the internal components and adjustments are correct. If I fill it before starting with a funnel and piece of fuel line, I know whether the needle and seat are closing properly. Therefore, there's very little chance of running way rich during startup.

·
Premium Member
57 210 post dressed as a Bel Air
947 Posts
The hassle of getting the Sniper tuned can be a nightmare. I bought a Blueprint 355 which came with the Sniper installed The mechanic who did the tune had done 6 other Snipers before mine. I can't quote him here because of profanity limits. He said he's done with them because they're a PIA. My first Sniper unit made it 502 miles before it shot itself. The chip shortage means parts aren't available. If the old 283 is already tired I'd spend the Sniper money on refreshing the 283 and give it a 4barrel like it was born with. On the other hand, if going lip-flubbing nuts and crying in dark places appeals to you, turn the sniper loose and go for it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a Sniper on my Stroker 396. I found it pretty easy to program. If I had a fresh stock 283, I would go with a carb. You just don't need all the capabilities of a Sniper or the install requirements.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback... definitely some good things to consider. I am more into originality than straight out performance, but thought if I get a FI setup that can look pretty original under the stock air cleaner, that might be worth a little extra money up front. If reliability is an issue with the sniper setup, then that makes for a much easier decision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts