Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey tri fivers i just put in a new 1 peice floor pan in a 2d/ht and it looks to be short.i just wandered if they sold me the wrong pan it is butted up to the trans hump/toe boards and lacks 1/2/inch in back where it meets the rear inter quarter tire well

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The basic pan is the same,braces are added and/or moved around to match the body style.(except convertibles)
It could be over-bent slightly.
You need to stretch yours to fit!
Mike.:)
terry how in the world do you stretch a floor:confused0006:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hows it fit where it meets the trunk floor?
I hope it isn't welded at the rockers yet.
If it's still on the rotissory,maybe you rig up a way to pull it enough to make it fit.
its still on the rotisserie and it is held by 8 pair of vice grips/no welds.i will use screws until i grt it on the frame /doors/trunk lined up then weld

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 peice floor pan to short please help!!!

1 peice floor pan to short has anybody ever had this problem .and what can i do .100%chevy said i might have to stretch it .but how??? its still on the rotisserie no welds/vise grips only.please help rusty

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Do you have one of those ratchet type tie-down straps?
If so,find a convient place to hook it to the floor(body mount hole?),then hook the other end to your rotissory and slowly tighten it.
It's not hard to stretch that big piece of metal 1/2".
While pulling,you might want to put some long screws in at the wheelwells to help.Use a nut-driver to prevent stripping the hole.Once it gets close,put some vise-grips on it to help squeeze it together.Meanwhile,with the floor supported,you need to release the other clamps so the floor can move.
It will move-the key word is patience!
You're doing it right.Don't even think about welding until everything fits and is securely clamped/screwed together.
In fact,I wouldn't weld at all until you have it back on the frame to make sure the body mount holes line up.

·
Registered
273 Posts
One thing to think about is the door measurements. When a car is on a rotissery it trys to droop down opening up the bottom (like yours is). With the amount of rust you are fixing that shell is weak. Even with the bracking you have in your pics it may could have moved. Check your door opening for trueness. Then start checking the new part if your body shell measures true. I have seen weird things happen when doing major metal work in a rotissery. I like to do al major metal work on a chassis or a frame table(if has one availble before putting on a rotissery. Like 100% Chevy said...Dont weld anything till it fits perfectly. :D Tim

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have one of those ratchet type tie-down straps?
If so,find a convient place to hook it to the floor(body mount hole?),then hook the other end to your rotissory and slowly tighten it.
It's not hard to stretch that big piece of metal 1/2".
While pulling,you might want to put some long screws in at the wheelwells to help.Use a nut-driver to prevent stripping the hole.Once it gets close,put some vise-grips on it to help squeeze it together.Meanwhile,with the floor supported,you need to release the other clamps so the floor can move.
It will move-the key word is patience!
You're doing it right.Don't even think about welding until everything fits and is securely clamped/screwed together.
In fact,I wouldn't weld at all until you have it back on the frame to make sure the body mount holes line up.
thanks mike i do have a ratchet strap and a come along .i will try hooking it to the rear erea of of the rotrisserie t the back body mount i just hope pulling on one end doesnt put everything in a bind

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing to think about is the door measurements. When a car is on a rotissery it trys to droop down opening up the bottom (like yours is). With the amount of rust you are fixing that shell is weak. Even with the bracking you have in your pics it may could have moved. Check your door opening for trueness. Then start checking the new part if your body shell measures true. I have seen weird things happen when doing major metal work in a rotissery. I like to do al major metal work on a chassis or a frame table(if has one availble before putting on a rotissery. Like 100% Chevy said...Dont weld anything till it fits perfectly. :D Tim
thanks for the reply bayou man as far as the center dooping it may have but!! the new pan with inter rockers lines up perfect with the top of the rockers and the mounting ereas in the rear. so it dont look like it but like you said :eek:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok guys i got it in it was a rookie mistake all i had to do is move the pan to the rear 1/2 inch and push the firewall in with my hand and clamp it together now it fits :party0031: yhanks for all your help rusty

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi Rusty, looks good mate you have been working hard over there. The onepiece floor looks great. My advice is and i know at this stage it is going to be a hassle doing it but before welding anything put the car back on the frame with new body mounts kit. Brad.:anim_25:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts