Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some army training in San Antonio, TX the past 2 months and got to work on the 57 on the weekends. Plan was to install power windows (regulator wore out) and decided to put power locks, keyless entry/alarm, and a stereo in. Got everything back together on the last day with just enough time to take some final pictures 2 days ago. As always it took longer than expected, especially on a 4-Dr HT, had to use universal kits, nothing was direct bolt-on.

We couldn't get the siren for the alarm hooked up quite right (we'll be calling Electric Life to work it out), the solenoid for the power trunk release wasn't powerful enough, and the driver's door hinges are worn so it hangs a bit. They'll still need some refurb/new parts but overall got a lot done.

Attachments

6,794 Posts
Mighty fine looking Trivide Ryan. Thank you for posting. Lloyd

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ryan, I have a twin to your 4dr HT!!! Same model, same colors! Go to my garage for some pics. Jon
Wow, nice 4DR HT, 57hardtop4! I wish they were identical twins. Nice color choice with the blue exterior, silver interior. I plan on lowering it and doing some suspension/wheel work similar to yours when the funds and time come in. I like your center console, too. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wow! what a beautiful 4DHT.
What power window setup did yoy use and how does it work, especially the rear windows. Does it go up and down smoothly?
I've got a couple of project 4DHTs and plan a nice resto on the really good one.
My topless roadster 4DHT is a driver, with stock 283 and glide.
I LOVE driving it.
Enjoy yours
Jarhead

·
Premium Member
11,820 Posts
Wow! what a beautiful 4DHT.
What power window setup did yoy use and how does it work, especially the rear windows. Does it go up and down smoothly?
I've got a couple of project 4DHTs and plan a nice resto on the really good one.
My topless roadster 4DHT is a driver, with stock 283 and glide.
I LOVE driving it.
Enjoy yours
Jarhead
I'd like to know about your window kit too. Also, Jarhead. Have you posted any pics of your projects? Don't see them in your profile, do you have an album?

Don

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have not posted any pictures yet, but I'm going to.
I'm out in Sonoma right now and the cars are near Austin Texas, but I'll be back there in mid october.
I think I have a CD out here with a few pictures of the 57 roadster and the project 57s.
I'm not very computer smart so I might need help posting pictures.
Ratrod Russell has offered to post them for me.
Hot Rod Jim, Russell's dad is a friend and their shop is only 20 miles from mine. So with his help I'll get some pictures up soon, I think I even have a picture of my car next to Russel's Black Widow 57 post with C4 suspension.
I'm headed to Ukiah Ca for a car show this morning, supposed to be 300 cars there.
Jarhead

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just back from Ukiah, hundreds of nice cars on display including many tri fives.
I especially liked a 57 sedan delivery and a very sharp 57 nomad.
Lots of the usual Model As, 32s, fatfenders etc. One really nice 51 Ford woody, a nice 55 Chrysler 2DHT and even some Packards and an edsel or too.
Actually ran thru a little rain on the way which is very unusual out here this time of year.
The are also having Pinks All Out here at Infinion Raceway, finals are today but I didn't go.
take care
Jarhead

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd like to know about your window kit too. Also, Jarhead. Have you posted any pics of your projects? Don't see them in your profile, do you have an album?

Don
Sorry for the delay in posting. Work is getting in the way. :)

I used a "Calibri" system from Electric Life. Basically it's a rotary motor system that fits over the existing window crank post and uses the factory window regulator mechanism. It's pretty slim so the door panel fits over it with tolerable flexing and a cap covers the hole where the window crank used to be. Pretty easy to install and puts the windows up and down as fast as modern cars.

Having said that, I have run into this problem: I put non-original weatherstipping over my roof rails because I can't find any new roof rails anywhere even after deciding to fork over the $250. The added thickness of the weatherstipping has caused extra friction and the windows have a hard time getting started and then returning all the way up, or forward at the end of the mechanism in the rear, in this case. I didn't have enough time to iron this out before I had to return from TDY, but if you push them a little at the beginning and end they do fine. Also, if the door is open they work just fine.

I hope that helps your decision process, seems to be a good solution for power windows in this unique window mechanism.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
11,820 Posts
Thanks for the update Ryan. Looks like it is "Colibri". I'm going to look into it.

Don

Sorry for the delay in posting. Work is getting in the way. :)

I used a "Calibri" system from Electric Life. Basically it's a rotary motor system that fits over the existing window crank post and uses the factory window regulator mechanism. It's pretty slim so the door panel fits over it with tolerable flexing and a cap covers the hole where the window crank used to be. Pretty easy to install and puts the windows up and down as fast as modern cars.

Having said that, I have run into this problem: I put non-original weatherstipping over my roof rails because I can't find any new roof rails anywhere even after deciding to fork over the $250. The added thickness of the weatherstipping has caused extra friction and the windows have a hard time getting started and then returning all the way up, or forward at the end of the mechanism in the rear, in this case. I didn't have enough time to iron this out before I had to return from TDY, but if you push them a little at the beginning and end they do fine. Also, if the door is open they work just fine.

I hope that helps your decision process, seems to be a good solution for power windows in this unique window mechanism.

Ryan

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thought I'd also post this picture. Might help anyone out there installing power door locks on the rear door (not much room for the actuator and the rod mechanism is on the outside of the door). There is probably a more simple solution out there but my dad really got into this and it works really well.

Hope it helps someone.:tu

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.